How do I install a torsion spring

SVanderkolff

I am in the process of making my first auto, for the fourth time, but am getting much closer this time. I am at the point of needing to install the torsion spring. Ihave the tool to make the round depression in the blade for the spring but am not sure how it goes in and how to put tension on it. Does the little sticky outy part that stands perdendicular to the spring go through the liner. How do you make a little slot for the sticky outy part that lies parrallel to the spring. Not the most technical terms but hopefully you can see what I mean.
Thanks
Steve

Steve, the ones I have see are placed into the liner with the horizontal tail in a slot on the liner and the vertical part going into a hole in the blade.

To load the spring you put the blade onto the spring and turn it until it is in place and then put it on the pivot and put the lock in place. then assemble the rest of the knife.

It has been a long time but if memory serves, that is how it is done. Chris Crawford's video shows it if I remember correctly and I think you have that video.

Bob

EDITED TO AD: At the 1hour and 16 minute point in Chris' video is where he starts explaining the spring and how it is installed. And the slot for the horizontal tip is milled into the liner and the vertical is placed into a hole in the blade.

Last edited:
Back