Ever used Loctite 2 part epoxy?

Keith Willis

I bought this a couple of weeks ago,and I tried it once.
I glued a set of slabs up,and let them set over night.
I noticed that even after about 12 hours it was still a little
soft.I did not think this was right,so,I left the extra epoxy on
the styrofoam plate I was using,even after a couple of days I
could peel it up off the plate and the bottom was wet.
Is it bad epoxy,or could it be the use of the styrofoam plate?
Thanks for the help.

God bless,Keith

That is the same 2 part epoxy we use at work for bonding CF to aluminum, and one thing that we have found with curing issues is that BOTH parts need to be equal when dispensed and mixed. If a little more hardener is used than resin it cures too fast; if more resin than hardener it takes a LONG time to cure, and sometimes not at all.

Our answer to the issue was to buy small measuring cups, like you see on NyQuil and such, and measure BOTH into the same cup to get an equal amount. This has helped with QC since then, but it's still up to the individual. If you use 2 different measuring devices (one for resin and one for hardener), make sure to scrape out as much as possible onto the mixing plate from each so you stay close to the same amount.

We mix on PVC platens with Popsicle sticks, but I would think that the Styrofoam is NOT the issue in this case, UNLESS you saw evidence of the materials attacking the plate. If you saw evidence of that you could have a cross contamination issue.

How are you measuring out?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,
I have just squeezed equal amounts onto the plate,
maybe I need to measure it out.
I'll try that

God bless,Keith

You can get the measuring cups at Walgreen's to start. We get them in bulk from Atlanta Med.

Let us know if this works or not.

Charlie

Keith, plastic spoons to measure might work too?
How about a disposable syringe?
Charlie sounds like he is spot on if I was gonna bet. Gotta be same same.
Dozier

Dozier, has a great point I didn't think about. Plastic spoons would be not only good, but closer to what one needs for bonding scales!

A syringe would be good as well, but a bit more expensive than a toss away spoon.

I love this place.... LOTS of great minds thinking...

Thanks Charlie,I tried mixing a very small amount on a piece of cardboard.
I did not measure,I just squeezed out a large drop,keeping each the same,it cured just as it should have.

Thanks Dozier,The plastic spoons should work good.

God bless,Keith

Back