work bench top

SVanderkolff

What is the best surface for a workbench? I have 2 workbenches that I use all the time for my small work and leather work. Both are 2' by 8'. Currently one is plywood and the other is coated press board. Neither one is working real well. The plywood absorbes everything I spill on it and the press board shows every mark and cut. I was thinking of either a stainless steel top or a bright white whatever you call the stuff that goes on counter tops. What do you suggest?
Thanks
Steve

Laminate chips, and stainless scratches - if you're not concerned with overall appearance really (why would you, its a workshop) then I'd go steel.

I picked up some scrap pieces of white Corian countertop that I used for my reloading bench. It's stable (no twisting/warping) and the white not only reflects light, but allows me to see any spilled powder, small screws, etc. It's a plastic resin material used for countertops, so it won't absorb water. It will show scratches, but not as readily as pressboard.

I made my table tops out of box trailer flooring. it's almost indistructable. Find a place that does trailer repairs, when I built mine, the flooring had to be 25 yrs old and was still in great shape. And free. just bring your chainsaw and a few blades.

When I made my bench I used 2x6 planks. This has worked great. They will hold up to everything. You may notice in the picture below that I used a 1x6 on the back blank. I did that so I could put the pieces you see sitting on the top of the bench on both sides of the 1x6 and make a long tray that runs the length of the bench.

4527876368.jpg

Chris_Crawford_Knives_Line.JPG

Chris Crawford - Chris Crawford Knives

For doing leather work,try contacting local cemeteries and see if they have any mis-spelled or chipped/unusable tombstones (marble/granite slabs).
They apparently make a fantastic work surface for leatherworkers! (and,free).
I read in Wayne Goddard's book that he has one for forging tribal/primitive knives,and that's where he got his.
I sourced one out recently,but as I might be moving soon,figured I can always get another...
the ones I was told I could have (there were 2) were approx. 4" thick,16" wide and 24" high.
(if you could find a place to saw them in half,width-wise, you'd have a fair amount of work surface)

Last edited:
scrap hard wood flooring makes for a fine surface use oak or maple and it will last a life time with a good oil finish

I used 2x6 pine planks then topped that with a sheet of sanded plywood. Screwed the plywood down, added a few coats of rattle can poly.
I like it because no matter how bad it gets I can just take out the screws and lay down another sheet.
Next time I am going to go with a regular poly coat. the spray on stuff does not get thick enough to really protect.

Back