What happens when your hunting dog......

leatherman

Sheath Forum Moderator
Finds a Toad! huh1

mollyvstoad.jpg

.... and she wont leave them alone!! :rolleyes: Every time she gets near one its go time! Then, well, you see the aftermath. Well, some of it, whats all over the floor is worse. unsure

My dalmatian Bandit is no longer with us because of an allergic reaction to one of those toads. However rare, that mild toxin can kill a 90 lb. dog.

BC

Leatherman, does that dog "work" them toads or just figger, it's moving, kill it?
My setters point turtkles. Boy , if that ain't an ego buster (BOG)

You sure she didn't pick up a bar of soap, leatherman? :D I guess I should consider myself lucky that all Casper 'points' are earthworms & bugs... eh brucegodlesky! :)

DSCN9522.jpg

Leatherman, does that dog "work" them toads or just figger, it's moving, kill it?
My setters point turtkles. Boy , if that ain't an ego buster (BOG)

I don't think she has killed one yet, but they don't come out unscathed for sure. unsure

Come to think of it, she does look a little stoned there huh? :p

I had a Schnauzer that wouldn't leave toads alone either, talk about messy, every time he shook his head foam would fly off those whiskers.

Sorry to hear about your dog Bill, thats the first I've heard about an allergic reaction to toad poison. :(

Leatherman, that's a beautifull little girl you've got there. The toxin a toad relaeses thru it's skin is a hallucinagen (did I spell that right?). Though it's not funny that it could effect your girl's health and possibly worse as was the case with Bill's pup, the foaming mouth pic does look quite hillarious.

My wife and I live in Conway, Ar. There is actually a state park nearby and a town square named "Toad Suck" here. They even have a yearly festival named "Toad Suck Daze". The story behind the festival is more related to the old steamboat crews who would sit around at a local tavern and drink til they "swelled up like toads" while waiting for the river to rise, but there is also rumor that some would actually suck on toads for the hallucinagenic effect it gave them.

Sorry to ramble, just thought I'd share a quick story.

Murph

The danger seems to depend on the type and size of the toad and the size of the dog. It is not at all unusual for toads to kill dogs even of Boxer, Dobermann, or Dalmatian size if enough of the toad is consumed or if it is the right type of toad.

Back