First forged Damascus blade and 1084 Blade

Dick L.

Had the pleasure of visiting Indian George and meeting a couple other fine folks who hang out here. First off I don't think there is a room in that house that doesn't have something knife related in it. It was a great day with an opportunity to forge a blade from 1084 spring steel with Gary Rua from Fall River MA. and then do a cable Damascus billet and then a blade with George using hammer and hydraulic press. These were both new experiences for me and they were great teachers.
Not only does George have several forges set up and at the ready but he even provides his guests with lunch ! If you can take it he has some favorite recipe heat treating relish he'll share as well. You don't even need to have a Tat to be accepted, though the lack of one was mentioned :) :)

Enough about that here are some photos to show what we accomplished. I need to get some fine grit belts and make some decisions on handle and guard before I go further.
I'm real happy with how they are turning out so far.

Dick
P8220004.jpgP8220007.jpgP8220006.jpgP8220001.jpg

Looks like you got a good start there Dick, make sure you post finished pictures of your knives.

Larry

Well, I'm still at it :) Haven't been posting because I'm still in the learning stages for sure. I have been working on finish and forging when time allows but between work and family it has been slow.I think this year will have more time for this pursuit so we will see.I can't believe it has been over two years since I saw George.
I'm going to try to attach a few photos of my progress hope it works.IMG_2185.jpgIMG_2186.jpgIMG_2187.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Dick

Back