KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member

Attachments

• UDDEHOLM_ELMAX.pdf
    357.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Elmax__HTR_Rev_Jan16_2008.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I have just started doing some testing with Elmax. I spent about 3 hours visiting with their metallurgist Pat, at dinner after the Blade show. Her suggestion for Elmax is to also add a cryo to the heat treat before the first temper cycle. This conflicts, I know, with some of the other steel companies philosophies, who say to do a snap temper prior to cryo. She has some very specific reasons for not doing the snap temper that make a lot of sense.
The formula I am using is as follows:

pre-heat 1200f hold 30min

stress relieve 1500f hold 30 min

Austinize 2000f soak 15min (do not over soak)

interupted air quench to below 150f

( straighten any warpage at this point. This steel is still very movable it this point)

Allow to come to room temp.

cryo

Temper 2 hrs at 390f
Temper 2 hrs at 350f

This formula can also be used without the cryo if so desired.

The results I am getting are :

as quenched 63rc

with cryo 60-61rc

w/o cryo 59-60rc

I am still experimenting with this steel and none of this is set in stone for me yet. But this should give a decent starting point for anyone just starting out with it.

What do you think of this steel compared to the CPM steels?

It should be quite similar to s30v.

How is it to grind before/after HT compared to 154CPM?

Jakob

We suggest that you also try a 2100F heat treat and follow Steve's other directions; quick forced air quench (150F drop per minute), LN deep freeze and the two tempers, 390 and 350 or 390 and 365. At 2100F you should get 61-62 Rc and good toughness. Soak at 2100F for 15 minutes, not more, and get the steel into the deep freeze within 5 minutes of cooling to room temp after the quench.

Wear resistance at 62 Rc is very good. Of course if you want a very tough semi prybar you can temper at 480F and get 57-59.

I am also interested in plate quenching elmax. Any word on advantages or disadvantages? I am thinking soak @ 2000 for 15 min., plate quench, temper 2x375 deg. for 2 hours? I am looking for around 59 RC. Does anyone see any big problems with that?

I'd say that is in the upper range of temp needed for autenizing but your recipe should work..

Back