Had to modify an old tool into a new tool today.

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
As many of you know I have always made fixed blades. I used an angle grinder to cut fairly close to profile and then ground the profile to shape and proceeded with the rest of the knife build.

Well now I am taking a shot at building a folder and need to conserve materials (damascus) as much as possible. Therefore I decided to modify my portable band saw and make it an upright.

Here are a few photos so far, tomorrow I need to make a table for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I am not sure what happened to the photos, I uploaded them in order but they got out of whack somehow.

Edit:

I played with it a bit and got the photos right.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of these saws on CL, but passed them over thinking they wouldn't be very useful. A stand like this would change that, now I just need to learn how to weld.

now I just need to learn how to weld.

Where are you? There is bound to be someone close by that can weld.

You should post your location in your control panel so everyone can see where you are. There may be several people close by.

I live near Dallas and have had a LOT of people to my shop, some to learn, others needing help building something.

I have a 4x6 Horizontal/Vertical band saw but I do a lot of stuff other than knives and it is a pain to keep changing things around, this will make it a bit easier.

Bob that looks to be as heavy duty as the table it's sitting on!

Great work.

Call you later this afternoon as well.

Charlie

Nice looking set-up and a very clever idea. Nice welds by the way. I can't lay a bead like that to save my butt.

now that's one slick idea!
lol,my (former) fairer half often tried to turn an old 'tool' into a new tool...maybe that's why she's my ex? ;)

Fergy35, after all the things I have built, I better be able to lay a fair weld. Actually the photo of the welds was to show a mistake I made and had to correct. I cut the upright too short and had to add a piece of steel under it so the saw would fit. I forgot to mention that in the first post.

It is sturdy as can be and will be a good saw for cutting things out. Leaves the other saw for welding projects.

Back