A side trip to the first iro works in the US (photos)

Bssc

The iron works is very local to me and I pass by it so often by hardly ever take the time to walk around. It is a small place with not more then 1/2mi of walking at it.

http://www.nps.gov/sair/index.htm

blastforgebld.jpg

blast forge building

blastforge.jpg

blast forge

blastybellows.jpg

blast forge bellows

smallforgebld.jpg

small forge building there are 5 working forges in here

slittinghouse.jpg

slitting building where iron was slitted to make nails etc.

waterpoweredslitter.jpg

water powered slitter dies

insidetheslittinghouse.jpg

drive train for the slitter

watertotheslittinghouse.jpg

outside drive for the slitting building

nailintheslittinghouse.jpg

nail head in the slitting building as big as your fist

finishedproduct.jpg

finished product of the slitting building

hook.jpg

hook detail for the on site working ( weekends) blacksmith shop

ironhinge.jpg

hinge detail

ironknocker.jpg

door knocker detail

ironpigtail.jpg

pig tail detail

WOW!!!! I never heard about it.:cool: I'll have to take a trip to see it.:biggrin: If you ever get down to New Bedford, stop by the shop.:thumbup1:

IG when and if i am in NB I am there for a race so time is very short at the end of the day we will see though

It's a nice place to visit.
My grandfather donated the old tools used in the restoration of the site.
We used to have a farm there in Saugus until the city decided it needed it more than my family.

IG, we will have to go over there the next time I come up.
After I left IG's in May I went to the Cambria Iron works in Johnstown and got a private tour through the Blacksmith Shop. A 10,000# hammer and several 7,500# hammers. It was the first foundry to use the new Bessemer furnace and in it's hey day produced more Bessemer Steel than any other foundry in the world, including Pitts burg.
Tannehill State Park in Alabama and site of the Alabama Forge Council's is at the site of their Blacksmith Conference and the Batson Blade Symposium. During the War of Northern Aggression the foundry was used to cast cannons and other war materials.

There are a number of old Historic Iron and Steel sites around the country.

This one in Mass is a great restoration. Glad that you posted this.

Thank you for posting this! I really enjoy historic sites like that in general. Being related to iron/steel/etc sure doesn't hurt any from a knife guy's point of view.

Thank you for posting this! I really enjoy historic sites like that in general. Being related to iron/steel/etc sure doesn't hurt any from a knife guy's point of view.

Back