Barker Mini Chopper

John Barker

SUPERModerator & KNIFE MAKER
I call this a mini chopper design. The blade is fully convexed and there is no secondary bevel. This is the first blade I have ever convexed and I am extremely happy with the final product. The blade is made of CPM D2, 0.220" thick at the ricasso with a 600 grit hand satin finish. The cutting edge is 8" long. The overall lenth is about 14". The tang has a slight taper. The scales are black canvas micarta. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
-John
seshsknives022.jpg

seshsknives029.jpg

seshsknives044.jpg

seshsknives041.jpg

seshsknives038.jpg

seshsknives040.jpg

seshsknives047.jpg

I don't know John. I don't think I would deliver that one to a customer without sending it to me for a test run first.

Great looking knife you have there. I'm just jealous it isn't mine.

John,
When Murph is done I better test it on a good hack'n hike too before it goes out!

Seriously, looks great fully convexed too, I like that, great looking lines and handle. That is a winner there!
Eric

At a glance the knife gave me a real good first impression and I am not one to get excited about choppers. Next I looked it over closer for flaws or anything I thought should be done differently. Couldn't find anything. Last I looked over the handle. I am very impressed with how you shaped and finished the handle. Looks comfortable without the distorted shape you sometimes see in ergonomic handles. Very classy looking knife. I really like it.

Thanks guys for taking the time to give me some feedback. I really appreciate all the comments.
-John

Awesome chopper John!! I like the full height convex grind. Sure will chop like crazy!!

I have one complaint... I'm not sure I would call a 14" knife "mini" :D

The lines are very smooth and flowing, but not "radical". Man I sure like seeing that. Handle looks comfy. I love a full sweeping convex right down to the edge, I bet that will cut/chop very well. Low-maintenance, high-performance blade and handle materials with attention to detail that makes the knife classy and custom. Tapered tang, gorgeous plunge line, nice finish on the blade and all around the spine, thumb gription ridges that don't look too deep or sharp... that's a definite winner! Pretty much a text-book example of I would look for in a knife that style. I salute you!

Last edited:
James,
Thanks for the detailed review. I do think of it as a mini though. I think of a full size chopper as more of a 12" blade.

Thanks to everyone else who posted also.

-John

Beautiful! John, I'm just a user and not a maker, but for the majority of end users, I'd think they'd be more likely to purchase this model than your original. The size is more likely to be carried and "shown off" than the big boy; I'm guessing this one is a bit less expensive; a lot of folks will love the full convex grind; and to my eye, anyway, just looks purtier.

Of course, none of this is to insult the original Barker chopper. :biggrin:

Back