how thick should stock be?

bootstrap

hey guys I was curious how thick is the stock you guys use? If you are making hunting/camp/kitchen/utility knife, what thickness would use for those particular knives?

Thanks for the help,

Will

Hi Will,
Different makers use varying size materials .It also depends if you are forging or stock removal . I am a stock removal guy . I will give you sizes that I have had good results with. Hunters and utility knives I usually use .125/.140 thick ,the thin blade with a full flat grind slices good and dosen't have a wedge effect . Camp knife is usually .218/.250 thick for all around use , chopping etc . For a kitchen knife I will use .093 for a slicer also with a full flat grind.
Again, this is what I have found to work for me.

JZ

I use 1/8" or 3/16" for small to medium size blades and 1/4" for larger. The reason for using 1/4" stock on larger blades is often to concentrate weight on the blade as much as for strength, I like larger knives to be able to chop and 3/16", while strong enough in most cases, sometimes requires a very wide blade to gain the mass I want.

I like to use 5/32 for EDC's, hunters and skinners, 3/16 for smaller tacticals and 1/4 for large camp knives and tacticals.

thanks guys for the info. TX knife makers has some ATS-34 on sale in 1/8" and I was thinking of buying some.

What type of steel are you wanting to work with? If you want some carbon, come on down and I'll scrounge together enough for a few blades for ya.

What type of steel are you wanting to work with? If you want some carbon, come on down and I'll scrounge together enough for a few blades for ya.

There is an offer,not to pass on,Good on ya Murph!

If you need some handle material,PM me your address and it's yours.
Most of what I have,was given to me.

God bless,Keith

Boostrap, if you want to come down to Hattiesburg, I'll give you enough material to get you started. I think I have some 1084 and 1095 in 1/8" as well as som 1095 in 3/16". I have some curly maple I'll give you and a bar of brass for guards and some spacer material. The only thing you'll need to order is some epoxy and pin material. I may even know of a place local you can pick that up.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number. Just give me a call if you are interested and we'll figure out a time for you to come get it. Heck, if we have time, we'll go ahead and cut you out a blank or two and get them ready for you to start working on.

Last edited:
Hey Murph I didn't realize you're from Hattisburg...Its good to see some other makers from MS. I replied to your PM.

I would like to work with a carbon steel, O-1, and a stainless variant like 440C.

Last edited:
Back