Opinions on A2

UncleBillyKnives

I was out working on a couple more knives tonight and was looking at the pile of A2 I have. There are pieces from ½” wide to 4”wide with a wide range of thicknesses. I rescued these from the trash bin at work a couple years ago. I have cut out a blank of it but that is as far as I got. I know a lot of fighter style knives are made of it because it is tough. But, it has to be sent out for heat treat, which really is not in the cards for me right now. So far, all I has used is 0-1 and 1095 that I can treat myself. What do you guys think of it? Have you used it? Should I hang on to it until I gain more confidence? I could sell it but I know I would later regret it if I did. If you have used it in the past, please give me your thoughts on the steel. Thanks for your input.

UncleBilly

Attachments

• DSC00479.jpg
    DSC00479.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00480.jpg
    DSC00480.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 37
Unclebilly
Ive been using A-2 for the last year or so. Made everything from knives to hatchets with it.
I send it out to be heat treated to 58-60. I like it! Seems to hold a better edge if cryo treated{sub zero Quench}
Will rust if not taken care of,but most tool steels do!
If I were you I would hold on to it!!
Dan

It's been my main steel for stock removal for the last few years, though I'm branching out now.
Easy to heat treat if you have an oven. Think of it as sort of an air hardening O1.

I would hold onto it. I have made one knife from it, and am testing it now for edge retention, and so far it seems to be a little better than O1, whitch is what one steel chart shows it as being, it turns dark very quick, but I like that.
Dan said it well, air hardening O1.
Dale

Thanks for the response. What is the hardness you are getting back from heat treat and what style knives did you make? thanks.

UncleBilly

Thanks for the response. What is the hardness you are getting back from heat treat and what style knives did you make? thanks.

UncleBilly

UncleBilly, I do my own heat treat, with no RC tester, but I shoot for 59-61. I made a drop point hunter, with 4-1/8" long blade. used 1/8" thick stock.
Dale

Back