Scam Alert!

Mike Carter

I am not going to name names but I wanted to alert you to what I am sure is a scam targeting knifemakers and others.

I recently got an email that said in part:

"I am interested in purchasing some of your products, I will like to know if you can ship directly to Australia, I also want you to know my mode of payment for this order is via Credit Card.

Get back to me if you can ship to that destination and also if you
accept the payment type I indicated. Kindly return this email with your Website."

They did include an address and telephone number. I saw several red flags here and responded with some questions that were not answered to my satisfaction. Then they said they would have someone in the U.S. pick up the knives and ship them to Australia. That is a familiar scam tactic.

A couple of days later I go virtually the same email from a different name and a different email (gmail) address. Although the phone number and address were different, the address was in the same area as the previous email inquiry.

I did a little internet searching and found the same email had also targeted a bookstore where the owner investigated and found it to be a scam.

Just a heads-up to be careful if you get a similar email and do a little investigating before you send anything.

I get 'em all the time, a couple a month. I also got one from a craigslist ad but I think that they are watching Knife Dogs. Mine ususally want to know what kind of belts, or surface grinders, or ,,,, they seem to be watching Knife Dogs, see that I sell something, then inquire about things that I don't sell but are somehow knife related. I haven't gotten one wanting to pay by credit card, ususally by certified check.

Back