July KITH knife Review , Marke Behnke

Dwane Oliver

I went fishing this weekend, got skunked :sad: Didn't catch not one fish.....pitiful. I took Marks knife along , intending on using it to clean some fish.....sorry Mark. I decided to put it through some other paces instead.

First off: I dont believe in abusing a blade to see how long it stays sharp. So dont look for any abuse here. If your gona "chop" wood , use a hatchet or a nice camp knife if you must use a knife. I always carry several to the woods , this one would be for skinning , preparing food ...etc. I not trying to dull it on purpose , just see how long it stays sharp.

Here is the knife , Aldos 1084 , brass/brass with a pine wood handle and a leather sheath ( didnt take a pic of the sheath , sorry ) Its a bit dirty from making dinner in Fri night.

DSC02759.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

When I got this knife from Mark it was shaving sharp :biggrin:
I had some rope in my camp box , nylon , I made quite a few cuts with it on the Pine stump in the pic.

DSC02761.jpg

After that still just as sharp as when I got it.
Then I decided to do some whittling on a dry pine branch. It was twice as long as the finished shot.I started right in the middle. Didnt take long and I was here. Shaving sharp after :biggrin:

DSC02762.jpg

I needed something else.....I had an old catalog in the truck. I made several cuts , from the spine of the catalog , along the length. These were several stroke cuts. I had to lick my arm to get it to shave after that.

DSC02763.jpg

All in all , I think Mark has got his heat treat down and definitely knows how to sharpen one up. this knife met all of my expectations.
Good job Mark , I'll be using this one as often as I can.

When I got home this evening , I took it to the shop and just ran it across the leather a bit......:biggrin: right back to hair poppin , i love it.

The only negative's I have about this knife are:
1 : the handle material , pine ain't a great wood for handles. I think Mark was in a rush to finish for the deadline , and this was all he had. Not a big deal , it will wear just fine as I tend to take real good care of my knives.

2: ( This is personal preference )The sheath is a "high ride" sheath...I'm a bit of a fatboy and it rubs on my spare tire , and its a bit loose. I heard this was his first sheath , if so he did a great job. Its well built and will last a lifetime. I will probably try and wet-form it some to get it to tighten up

Hope you all enjoyed my review.

Dwane

Oh by the way , me and Mark aint related or nothing , I just wanted to give an honest review of the knife.

It looks like a handy knife with good etch holding. Like the look of the knife as well.

Dwane
Glad you are using and enjoying the knife, it's good to hear back and your review will help me to make a better knife and sheath next time. I wasn't aware of a high or low carry, so that's a big plus to consider in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to review and post, this is the only the second knife to leave my shop ( first was the charity liner lock build) so your feed back is very helpful.

I was a little nervous about letting anything go, being a beginner, but you've made me glad I did.

Thanks
Mark

Back