Suggestion for the heat treating forum

silver_pilate

This is something I've been wanting to see for a long time: I'd like to see threads for proper heat treating recipes. The important thing is that it would have to be done right, and that would mean some more work for the moderators.

What I'd like to see is a single thread for each commonly used knife steel. The titles of the thread should be standardized in format and edited by the moderator to make it so. Also, they should be correct. There are a lot of backyard recipes that get passed around with no real validity as to their methods. The first post should be edited to include correct information for a general heat treatment.

The thread should include pre-soak if needed, austentizing temperature, hold time, quench speed/media, expected hardness after quench, tempering ranges (with RC if possible) and tempering times.

The hardest part of it would be moderating the posts to correct mis-information. After the initial post with correct information, there can be discussion for any alternative ideas, experiences, etc.

What do you think?

--nathan

I think we can work that direction.
I also know that there can be multiple heat treat recipes and they can all be correct depending on the application of the knife.

Eventually, we will collect data on each type of steel as members contribute. We will moderate the threads to try and get some uniformity for handy reference.

This kind of info would be great for people like me who work by the seat of their pants. It would be nice to know what works every time instead of using ( back yard methods ) that give mediocre results.

Larry

Back