Mas mokume

CTaylorJr

Let me start off with this; Bob Warner put the mokume thing in my head and I have now become a MONSTER! :what!::biggrin::what!:

Thanks Bob, this ROCKS! I don't yet have the forge to make Damascus (or the knowledge), but mokume is another story!

The first pic is of a billet I made from brass and copper strips. This is the 3rd I made from strips trying to perfect the "face" you see. The first one I did was an accident that ALMOST had this pattern and the wife went nuts over it. This piece will be cut out, polished lightly and then placed into the curio cabinet next to her caricature of the cat you see in the pic...

Tat_pic.jpg

This piece was made from quarters and nickles. I flattened the nickles on the anvil until they were close to the size of the quarters and then stacked them all up for welding...

I plan to cut this one into a heart necklace for the lovely lady that puts up with my madness!

Heart_billet.jpg

It doesn't look like much now, but once I start shaping it you should really begin to see the pattern.

Yes, there are scratches, this is a rough polish to see what I have... :3:

Thoughts?

Charlie

P.S. For the record... I DO NOT proclaim to know it all about mokume, I'm doing it the "easy" way with simple metals... But, I do plan to get a bit more serious about it! I like what I am seeing thus far and have ordered some other metal stock to experiment with.

Last edited:
Off to a good start IMHO. I find it interesting to see what you guys come up with. There was an earlier thread using quarters as the base metal I beleive, really liked it.
So, you can do something for a nickel, is what the voice in my head was saying. Keep us posted. Dozier

That is cool, glad you decided to take action on something we talked about. Now get ready to weld cable this weekend.

Back