Supply suggestions please!

David66

I am starting work on a 4th knife, this will have a guard. Where can I purchase the stainless or copper bar stock for this. I have looked at a number of knife supply houses and only see .125" stainless.

While I am at it; can stainless and copper be soldered together for a layered look?

Thanks for the help

Try usaknifemaker.com for the stainless. I also have bought from Pops knife supply.

Yes... Stainless can be soldered to copper, but only with the right solder/flux. You need to use a silver-bearing solder for any soldering of stainless. I use sta-brite solder with sta-clean flux. Knife #8a in my gallery has a guard of soldered stainless & copper. I have a WIP for that knife somewhere on KD.

Tracy at USA Knifemakers is good. Jantz also carries stainless and copper in 1/4 and 3/8" for making guards. They also carry flat stainless bar stock for making blades up to 1/4"

Doug Lester

Try usaknifemaker.com for the stainless. I also have bought from Pops knife supply.

Yes... Stainless can be soldered to copper, but only with the right solder/flux. You need to use a silver-bearing solder for any soldering of stainless. I use sta-brite solder with sta-clean flux. Knife #8a in my gallery has a guard of soldered stainless & copper. I have a WIP for that knife somewhere on KD.

Erin is right on the money, but I'd like to add one thing, even with flux you need flat and CLEAN surfaces. Dissimilar metals try to stay that way if you give them the chance. Flatten BOTH surfaces on a good flat base (glass, granite, etc...) with paper and double check the fit cold prior to heating up. The grinder or disc sander will not always give the flat you need for a good clean seam. Once flat, wipe them down with acetone, and then flux, heat and solder.

As others have said, USA and Jantz can get you fixed up on the metals.

Charlie

Back