measureing squareness

SVanderkolff

I think that the holes that I am drilling in the blades of the folders are not exactly square to the surface of the blade. I have checked the drill press itself and it is out of true by 2/1000 " 3" from the center of the spindle which I would think would be close enough yet when I construct the knives I sometimes end up with the blade not ying square to the rest of the folder. Is there a tool out there that will measure whether or not a hole is square to the surface extremely accurately?
Thanks
Steve

Are you reaming your holes also? What did you use to checking the squareness of the spindle? Does the spindle have any slop or play in it?
-John

Yes I am reamimg my holes.(that just sounds wrong) What I did to measure the spindle was to put a dial indicator in the spindlea and turn it around on the work rest. It came out almost dead flat. As I said it was out by 2/1000" to the front side of the platform. I used my surface grinder to make a flat plate fr drilling on so I am pretty sure that is flat. Am I being too picky, what is an acceptable tollerance for the squareness of a hole?
Steve

Frank,
Do you think you could paste your response here for the rest of us to see?
Thanks.
-John

Does your spindle have any play in it? Sounds like you have checked everything. Are you sure the scales are flat too?
-John

There could be a few things that could be off. Are the holes in your liners square? Maybe one of the liners is bent. If they are not flat they can pull the blade off to one side or the other. Are you using dowel pins in your knife construction? I use 2 in each knife, that way when you take the knife apart and put it together 100 times all the holes line up the same each time. Are you using a dummy pivot while you build the knife and reaming after heat treat?

Back