Custom Knives in "The Expendables"

Mike Carter

"The Expendables" opens in the U.S. this Friday August 13. This looks like it is going to be a great all-out action film with nearly every action film hero in it.

ka1_72dpi.jpg

My buddy Gil Hibben made two of the knives used in the film.

Stallone uses a Hibben custom toothpick
ExpToothpick3.jpg

EXP_052809_LR.jpg

Dolph Lundgren uses a Hibben Bowie customized for the film.
BowieWebAd1.jpg

08_725pi.jpg

I can't wait to see this one Friday.

Awesome, I cannot wait to see it!!!

I will be watching for the knives!

On a side note, How in the heck does one get knives in into the movies?

Ernie, the best way is to befriend an action star/producer/director. Oh, it also helps if the same individual is a knife collector (ie. Sylvestor Stallone). If we could all be so lucky.

Right!
That would be cool to watch a movie with one of my knives in it.........Heck even a knife from one of my friend here!!

Gil and Stallone go way back. Stallone has been a custom knife collector for many years and met Gil at a knife show in California. Since then he calls Gil whenever he needs a knife made for a movie.

Normally the movie's prop master comes up with the knives. It can be very political with may groups involved in the movie. It can be great exposure for a knifemaker but it can also be one of those "be careful what you wish for" things.

I just got back from seeing The Expendables. GOOD movie! Honestly much better than I expected it to be. It's a great action film but with a surprising amount of humor too. Lots of gun and knife action. It has more of a plot and character depth than Rambo IV but still it is a good shoot-em-up. My only complaint is that the action scenes are done in the quick cut shaky camera style that makes it hard to follow the action sometimes. Other than that I thought is was really good and I'll definitely be adding it to my DVD collection when becomes available.

For the knife lovers; Gil's Bowie knife gets some primo screen time. The toothpick that Stallone uses is mostly seen in quick flashes. Stratham gets a lot of use out of his throwing knives. I'm not sure who made the throwers but I think they were props made by the prop master Kent Johnson. I'll have to ask him about that. A couple of commercial folders are seen.

The Expendables is definitely worth a trip to the theater. The soundtrack really enhances the film in big BOOMING surround sound and they have a good selection of music tracks too. Neat car, cool choppers, neat plane, lots of fighting, guns, knives and a really good cast. Oh yeah.

The guys owned the theaters this weekend. The blood and guts action blew away the chick flick.

From the Hollywood Insider:
"Men clearly dominated the box office this weekend in a gender battle that pitted Sylvester Stallone’s testosterone-fueled Expendables against Julia Roberts’ Eat Pray Love. The Expendables won the weekend easily, grossing $35 million and a crucial victory for Lionsgate. Eat Pray Love was no slouch either, considering its limited appeal to men. The PG-13 rated travelogue grossed an estimated $23.7 million, making it Roberts’ highest opening as a leading lady since 2001′s America’s Sweethearts."

This will be a great addition to the DVD collection but this is a movie that needs to be seen, and heard, on the big screen with booming surround sound.

A $35 million opening weekend almost guarantees a sequel.

The guys owned the theaters this weekend. The blood and guts action blew away the chick flick.

From the Hollywood Insider:
"Men clearly dominated the box office this weekend in a gender battle that pitted Sylvester Stallone’s testosterone-fueled Expendables against Julia Roberts’ Eat Pray Love. The Expendables won the weekend easily, grossing $35 million and a crucial victory for Lionsgate. Eat Pray Love was no slouch either, considering its limited appeal to men. The PG-13 rated travelogue grossed an estimated $23.7 million, making it Roberts’ highest opening as a leading lady since 2001′s America’s Sweethearts."

This will be a great addition to the DVD collection but this is a movie that needs to be seen, and heard, on the big screen with booming surround sound.

A $35 million opening weekend almost guarantees a sequel.

I had several friends go see it this weekend and they can't say enough good about it. I'd like to go and will soon.

Back