TODAYS WORD FOR THOUGHT ON KNIFE MAKING

ironarmknives

Bladesmith & Forum Owner/Moderator
JUST GOT BACK FROM HOSP. DONT GRAB THE TAIL OF STEEL FROM THE DRILL BIT AS ITS MOVING JUST STOP DRILLING THEN TAKE IT OFF THE DRILL BIT OR YOU CAN GET 5 STICHES IN YOUR FINGER.I WAS DRILLING A BOLSTER USING BOTH HANDS AND MY EAR,AND MY TONGUE TRYING TO KEEP EVERYTHING LINED UP RIGHT .AND THAT DANED TAIL FROM THE SS STARTED GETTING LONG ,STARTED HITTIng MY HAND SO JUST RECHED RIGHT OVER "BRAIN FART" AND GRABED IT TO TAKE IT OFF BUT DIDNT WANT TO STOP DRILLING AS I WAS AMOST DONE .GLAD THE KID WASNT AROUND TO SEE SOMETHING SO WRONG.SO I JUST SAT WITH 40 ILLEGALS IN THE EMER.ROOM FOR 3 HOURS ,I WORE MY BORDER PATROL HAT AND CAMO SHIRT AND 5 LEFT WHEN I SAT DOWN "LOL" I HATE SITTING WITH SICK PEOPLE JUST WANT TO SAY KEEP IT SAFE OUT THERE !!!!!!!! sorry no pictures blood all over the shop floor its clean up time now .

Glad to hear that you lived through it...lol. that had to hurt... i got some shop time in today. I will post some pictures soon. take care buddy....2thumbs

Last edited:
I have gotten hurt more often by the drill press than all the other tools combined in my shop. I understand the buffer is the most dangerous tool but that drill press is a cuttin son of a gun...

Where can I get one of those border patrol hats? Sounds like a good way to get to the front of the line. Hope you heal up quick. I had a close call with the band saw the other day. Gotta be careful not to get to comfortable around it. I hear they love to eat fingers.

a drill press is the one motorized tool I figure I need if I want to stay at least partially sane, while indulging my desire to make some knives. It's been at least a couple of years since I decided I 'needed' one, so maybe my reason for not having one yet is not financial- I'm just scared!shakin

Where can I get one of those border patrol hats? Sounds like a good way to get to the front of the line. Hope you heal up quick. I had a close call with the band saw the other day. Gotta be careful not to get to comfortable around it. I hear they love to eat fingers.

mine was given to me for busting two duffel bags of dope "heroin" on the border two years ago saw them dropping it off call the bp nailed them after i followed them 5 miles and showed the bp where they where at.AND ALLS I GOT WAS THIS HAT "LOL"

Everyone knows that the buffer is the most dangerous and so everyone is usually more careful around it, but a lot of time we get a little relaxed around some of the other tools and that is when the accidents happen.

Glad you are doing ok and was not hurt to bad. That is a cool idea with the BP hat. I really have to get me one of those. :)

I, too, need one of those BP hats!
That was a great idea.

Almost makes up for the Brain Fart!
Almost.unsure

Glad it was only 5 stitches, coulda been worse.

Yeah, Mark, Bandsaws can be bad.
Close friend lost his middle and ring fingers to one.
His wife didn't want him to have them put back on.:eek:
I'da told her exactly where to get off!

Last edited:
Those Border Patrol hats are great. You can go to the front of the line in the emergency room, the post office, the drivers liscense office etc. Seems the line gets way shorter when some folks see the BP hat. cool 1:duh:

Glad your okay after the accident. Be careful working alone in the shop running machinery.

tHANKS GUYS TODAY IS A SORE DAY, HAND FEELS LIKE SOME ONE TOOK SOME STEEL AND ripped RIGHT THREW MY FINGER with it ,Hey that was me !!! DARCI just look at me and said i could of sewed that up for ya !!! ,then "
"how many times do i have to tell ya drills are for girls " stop your crying and lets go to softball . THE GIRL JUST DONT HAVE A HEART :p
AND HEY GUYS JUST BUST SOME DRUGS ON THE BORDER AND THE BP WILL GIVE YOU ONE OF THEM HATS "LOL"2thumbs IT DOES WORK GOOD
THANKS FOR CARING ITS MORE THAN I GET AROUND HERE.

Glad youre ok, could have been worse bud... It happens,.. ive picked up more hot steel without thinking
And Ive seen folks do so much with a drillpress to a sharp blade without clamping it or even taping it up ,thats so very dangerous . Think skillsaw laying on its side...scary.

Glad it wasn't any worse than that. I have cut my hands ,ground off part of a fingernail and recently had stitches in my finger from a knife I had just finished sharpening.

Clint,
Just so you know, the way to avoid those long tails altogether is to occasionally let up the pressure a bit and then go back at it. It doesn't have to be much, just a coulpe thou will work. This is called pecking and it greatly diminishes those long nasty curls.
Sorry to hear about your injury. My best is slicing off the end of my finger. oops

Back