anyone into smoking meat

v-6

I'm looken for the best of the best. looken for a good homemade dry rub for Poultry.
need to know what herbs and spices in what amount.
don't do hot
any help out there?
vern :drool:

Tex Joy makes a really good dry rub if you want to purchase it as opposed to making your own. It works great on both pork and chicken. Some Wal-Mart stores carry it, but it is most commonly found at Academy Sports. You can also order direct from thier website.

http://www.texjoy.com/

Vern, my father used to smoke turkeys during the holidays, years ago.
He kept the temp way low, 160F is or so (?), used pecan or hickory, in an old metal refrigerator.
He got up every two hours to check the temp, I remember a ruined batch when the temp got too low.
Anyway, no rub, just smoke, ten or 12 hours of smoke. Black bad tasting skin when done,
but the meat was sooo good. Dozier

Vern, if you will Google "Dry Rubs" or "Dry Rubs for Poultry" or just plain "Recipes" you will find hundreds of recipes for rubs of all kinds. I have used a number of these recipes with great success. I always read some of the reviews - good and bad. Denny

Well I use the same rub that I use for pork, just not as much. I dont have measurements because I just know how much I use but I will list the ingredients in the order of most to least.
Light brown sugar (I use one bag)
paprika (one container)
kosher salt
ground black pepper
onion powder, garlic powder (these two are about equal amounts)
ground ceyenne pepper (this is optional, My family like alot of heat :))
ground cumin (this is very strong so it doesnt take much)

I wish I could give you measurements but Ive made it so many years I just eyeball it. I always try a little taste when im mixing it and adjust accordingly.

For smoke I use hickory and keep the temp from 200 to 225. Be careful with poultry and the smoke, it can take too much smoke in a hurry and get a bitter taste. What I do is use a mix of charcoal (not kingsford, get the natrual with no fillers) and wood. after the first hour I switch to just charcoal. I also use a charcoal chimney to get the coal going before adding to the smoker that way you dont get the smoke from the coal. During the last hour I like to use apple wood, it gives a little bit of a sweet flavor, but that is just a personal preference.

Hope this helps some.

Willingham's (sp) regular is my favorite dry rub for pork. Never used it on birds. Dozier

:tongue_smilie:I just smoked up a cornish hen yesterday. I split it down the back and soak it overnight in a sea salt bath. Under the skin I put garlic powder, fresh rosemary and lime basil from the garden, then smoked it for 2 hours and finished up on the grill with my home made BBQ sauce.

I use caun seasoning as the basis for all my rubs. It isn't particularly hot but it has a LOT of flavor and spice. If I want hot I just add more seasonings.

Bubba my mouth is watering thinking about that cornish hen. I like my cornish hens over an open hickory fire, lotsa hot coals and plenty of beers.

Pat

I have made the best(in my families opinion) Bird/poultry rub out there.

I could send you a sample of it to try out!!

Ernie: thanks but no need for it.
if you would like to send the recipe for making it , i will trust you when you say its the best.
cause if its as good as your knife making , it will have to be good
vern

My 1SG, PLT SGT, and I (and our families) got together last night. I once again used the Tex-Joy BBQ rub on a whole pork loin. I rub it down and then make an injectable marinade.

1 stick of butter
Garlic Powder (I use ALOT you may use a little)
Tex-Joy Dry rub
Onion Powder
Worsteschire Sauce
Lemon Zest + Juice of Lemon
Orange Zest + Juice of Orange

Bring it to a low boil, turn it down to a simmer for 5-10 minutes and allow to cool. Then inject the tenderloin and allow to sit for an hour or two prior to grilling. When I grill it, I put it on a really hot fire and sear the exterior (to lock in the juices) and then cool down the fire (250-300 deg) and allow to cook for approximately two hours, turning every 20-30 minutes.

Mmm Mmm Good!

1.jpg

You should check out the Smoking Meat Forums. Lots of good discussion over there, and lots of recipes. We've done pulled pork, brisket, ribs, potatoes, and baked beans so far. I still haven't tried chicken.

well love kc rub on all out beef, and pork.
Just haven't found the right one for poultry
we have did all the above thing that
NJStricker has done including mac@ cheese.
vern

I’ll do 5-6 turkeys a year. Did # 4 about 2 weeks ago, so probably do 7 this year. I use a horizontal grill smoker for all my grilling and smoking. Start the charcoal in the small end while soaking my wood in water. Set up a drip pan on bricks just under the racks in the large end.
For the turkey just wash and dry then heavily coat with good olive oil then fresh ground black pepper. Add a beer to the drip pan and wood to the charcoal. Place turkey, that’s in a pan, on the rack above drip pan uncovered. Then I’ll close up the grill as much as possible, but maintaining a temp around 175*, and let it smoke for about 1 hour keeping as much smoke as possible going. When I get a good golden brown on one end I’ll turn it around to let the other end brown. All the time watching the temp, smoke and beer. After about 30 minutes or so both ends will be the same color then cover with foil add more beer if needed raise the temp to around 200*, don’t go much over. Then have your self a beer. 6-8 hours you’ll have the juiciest turkey you’ve ever had.
Woods:
( 1 ) Apple
( 2 ) Black cherry
( 3 ) Pecan
( 3 ) Pear
( 4 ) Hickory, if that’s all you have

Now other meats; ribs,steak,butts. Well now that's just a different story I make my own rub:biggrin:

We are going to have the KGA shop tour at my house this Saturday. My son and his friend and I were just dicussing the menu. Chicken quarters, country style ribs, and polish sausage smoked on the cooker. I told them I had the Greek Seasoning to rub the ribs and chicken down . I will eat well for a week cause we always do extra.

Next problem will be to keep Ray Kirk out of the pecan pie.

Back