Evolution! Warning curvy & pointy

Eric Ochs

Here are three different knives starting with the original Black Bear which was designed a couple years ago. Whether you think it is evolving or devolving is up to your own take but this is the succession of designs. Based strictly on the number of orders the last one has been the most popular…that said did I get another order for the first one a week ago.

First Knife: Black Bear
Blade: CPM S30V flat ground satin finish with Paul Bos Heat Treat; 5/32" width; 3-3/4" blade.
Handles: Black G10 with red liner, mosaic pins and stainless thong tube.

The original Black Bear was designed as a skinner/camp knife but the handle seemed to be what most people were drawn to. As a result I figured I would try a more tactical blade with the handle which resulted in the second knife. This convinced me that this style blade worked but it seemed to want more... As I had been also designing a larger fighting knife inspired by Bob Lum’s (RIP) Saber Tip Fighter something in between seemed to fit and the last design was born. Hope some of that made sense.
Thanks for checking the knives out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Second: Black Bear with Martle
Blade: CPM S30V flat ground satin finish with Paul Bos Heat Treat; 5/32" width; 3-3/4" blade with hollow ground back edge martle sharp on this one!
Handles: Desert Ironwood with finger groove, white liner, mosaic pin, brass thong tube and guard pins.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Third: Orca
Blade: CPM S30V flat ground satin finish with Paul Bos Heat Treat; 5/32" width; 4-3/4" blade with hollow ground false back edge martle.
Handles: Black & Green G10 with finger groove, red liner, mosaic pin, copper thong tube and guard pins.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fourth: Orca (posted before but could not resist since it seemed appropriate here)
Blade: CPM S30V flat ground hand rub finish with Paul Bos Heat Treat; 5/32" width; 4-3/4" blade with hollow ground false back edge martle.
Handles: Carbon Fiber with finger groove, blue liner, mosaic pin, stainless thong tube and guard pins.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Larry and Denny thanks for taking time to post your impressions. I especially like to see other makers comments.

Eric

Very nice I love the handle shape, must be comfortable in the hand. I would certainly use this knife as a skinner.

It takes some skill to get that grind line on the swedge to match up with the spine. Very nice. The scale work looks good too.
-John

Thanks all, and yes John it does take some work to get the back edge right and have it all come to a nice point too as you well know. I also think it must take photo skills to well beyond mine to capture a picture of the tip...Maybe what is needed is a 3D camera or something. LOL, it is coming I guess.

Best to you all,
Eric

Back