Wildcat Knife company (should I get it or not?)

Well, the Browning Competition Knife and the BK2 are currently in production and easily obtainable. Of course, you said that you "NEED" both of these knives. Unless you are a trail guide going into the Congo, I can't imagine needing these. Then again, I'm not you. You know your needs I don't. If I really wanted the Wildcat and it was at a good price, I'd jump on it for the simple reason that the other two are in such an obtainable supply. I'm not familiar with the Wildcat, but it if it is a rare model I would say go for it.

I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. Though I know I only truly "need" a few knives. I feel that I NEED any knife with Jim's mark on the blade. I have considered discussing a similar custom with Jim.

lol, it is a great looking knife and handles extremely well. In speaking with Jim about it, he was very pleased with the quality of the production model.

Just keep in mind that many of the custom makers have joined with production companies in order to market thier designs to those who would normally not be able to pay for a custom. There are many of the production companies out there that are making knock offs, but many such as Browning, Lone Wolf, CRKT, etc are turning out quality liscensed products which pay the designers for thier efforts. You may not be paying the maker full price for a custom, but they are receiving a portion of the sale.

I was leary of buying a Taiwan-made knife too, for all the usual reasons. However I'm VERY pleased with my Browning Competition Cutter. It has replaced my CarbonV Trailmaster as the go-to knife for yardwork, cutting campfire wood, driving tent stakes, and other fun things we do with big knives. The only possible beef with it is, the handle is on the large side. But if I had smaller hands, I could easily make the handle a little smaller.

So anyway... did you pull the trigger on that WildCat? I agree with Murph, if you like it and it's hard to find, go for it. The Brownings are (currently) fairly easy to get.

I feel your pain about buying knives from another country a while back I needed a heavy blade folder for a work knife. I went with a brand that had been made in the U.S.A for years. I was surprised when I opened it to find china stamped on the blade. I know customes are not cheap and after making a few knives I understand why. I'm sure you will enjoy which ever you decide on and the Germans have made some good knives.

Back