My First Knife

Pieter

Hallo All

This is the 1st knife I have made. Please feel free to give comments I would love to know where I can improve.
Steel: 12C27
Handle: Dymondwood.
Bolster: SS316
Total Length: 8.25"
Blade Length: 4"
Knife 1.jpgKnife 4.jpgKnife 7.jpg100_1140.jpg

Pieter, for a first knife that really looks good. The fit and finish seem to be good and your grind looks good. Great job.

Larry

First knife. Right! You really know how to hurt a guy. All kidding aside, that is a terrific effort for a first knife.

Doug Lester

very nice style. great looking I like the stipple on the bolster, what did you use to do you stipple work.

WOW, That your first?

Awesome Job, How did you do the texture on the bolster?
I would love to learn that.

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

The stippling on the bolster are done with a high speed (33 000 RPM) rotary engraver with a small carbide ball cutting bit. It is very important to note that once you start the stippling of the bolster the orientation of the engraver and the bolster must stay the same until it is complete, and the stippling must be random. If you do move either the bolster or the engraver it forms a very vissible line on the bolster, these lines can however be used to create nice patterns on the bolster.

I would suggest you practise this on a piece of scrap steel before you do it on a knife. the engraver tend to run side ways on the steel so some practise would go a long way to control the engraver and be very carefull at the edge of the bolster, you do not want it to run over and spoil all your hard work.

As for the next knife, I am in the process of builbing 2 KMG tipe Grinders driven by one Motor with a variable speed drive.

That sure dosen't look like my 1st knife did. Excellent shape,detail in the bolster looks awesome. I'd love to see your future work. You look like a natural at this. Keep up the great work.
JZ

Makes my first few look pretty rough. The flow of the design is very refined for a first piece, it is simple but very well executed.

I am very impressed. I would have been happy if that was my 20th knife. You have a feel for knife making

Thank you very much everyone I realy appreciate the nice comments. Will start making again when the grinders are completed.

Back