My Experiment With Super Quench

BobH

Just for the heck of it I beat out a railroad spike knife of the high carbon type. From what I understand that means .30-.40 carbon.
For the Super Quench I used one gallon of water, 1lb. of salt, 4 oz. of Dawn dish soap, & 4 oz. of Basic H2.
before starting I ran a file across the edge to make sure it was soft. It was dead soft.
I heated it with a torch using the #3 tip to what I believe in my shop to be around 1550 to 1600 degrees, and quenched it. I kept it moving like slicing bread. To say this is a fast quench is an understatement.
I tried the file again, and it just slid off, and I thought hmmmm, that is interesting. So I finished the blade, and got it reasonably sharp, and tested it out on a strand off my 1" hemp rope.
I made 32 cuts before it started to drag, and it made 50 cuts with no problem, and was still able to slice paper, though a little roughly.
This all kinda suprised me, and I really don't know what to make of it.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0124_small.jpg
    IMG_0124_small.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 64
I'm glad to hear someone else trying out SuperQuench. What would have been interesting would be to have quenched it in water, checked it, then SuperQuenched it and seen the difference.
It is also interesting to hear the difference in the sound of quenching in water and SuperQuench. With water it will sizzle and hiss. With SuperQuench it Screeeeems.

I sent Robb an e-mail asking what hardness he gets on A-36 as oposed to 1018 which he has tested to about RC 42.
It is common knowledge that 1018 has 18 points of carbon. ANSI specs specify that A-36 have a minimum carbon content of 26.

It is also interesting to hear the difference in the sound of quenching in water and SuperQuench. With water it will sizzle and hiss. With SuperQuench it Screeeeems.QUOTE]

LOL! In fact the sound it made startled me. Sounded like I was torturing it. I thought there is no way this thing is not cracked.

This a series of e-mails that I have exchanged with Robb yesterday and today. I will also add this info to my thread about SuperQuench.

Hi Wayne,
You're welcome to post or use the info any way you want.
Robb

Thanks for the quick reply and the information. I will post this on www.knifedogs.com with your permission. You might want to check out this forum. It is G rated, friendly and a good place to exchange information. I hope to see you again some time soon.

<);-)>
Wayne Coe
Artist Blacksmith
729 Peters Ford Road
Sunbright, Tennessee 37872
423-628-6444
www.WayneCoeBlacksmith.etsy.com
WayneCoe@highland.net

Subject: RE: SuperQuench

Hello Wayne,

The Super Quench is often used on A36 steel by many blacksmiths. When we were doing a series of tests at Sandia National Laboratories we consistantly achieved 42 to 45 Rockwell C scale on certified 1018 steel. Typically A36 has between 26 and 36 points of carbon. I would expect that you could get around 48 RC on A 36. You usually don't know exactly how much carbon you have in it, so there may be a little of variation in hardness. One other trick you might try, is to bake your finished knives is a toaster oven at 400 F for one hour. This greatly improves grain refinement after hardning even without a temper. If you are interested in a good book on heat treating that is easy to understand try: Selection, Application, and Heat Treatment of Tool Steels by William Bryson.
I hope this is helpful,
Robb Gunter

>
Subject: SuperQuench

I have met Robb (at Quad State) and Chad (when he was William Rogers assistant at John C. Campbell Folk school).
I have been making knives from half of a horse shoe and hardening them with SuperQuench. I have read articles on the internet and see that Robb states that he get a RC of 42 on 1018.
I have contacted manufacturers of horse shoes and have found that they use A-36. ANSI specifications state that A-36 must have a minimum carbon content of 26.

My question is, “Have you tested A-36 and what RC do you get on it?

On my knives I SuperQuench but do not draw any temper. They hold an edge well, as a matter of fact, my wife carries a Case Equine knife and I have to sharpen it more often than my EDC “Horse Head Horse Shoe” knife.

Thank you for your help here.

<);-)>
Wayne Coe
Artist Blacksmith
729 Peters Ford Road
Sunbright, Tennessee 37872
423-628-6444
www.WayneCoeBlacksmith.etsy.com
WayneCoe@highland.net

Back