Who all has lost a favorite knife?...

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
Even though it didn't hold an edge quite as well as I'd have liked,
it was my 1st wharncliffe knife (and my 1st knife from Blind Horse Knives),and I LOVED that blade...
I worked a brutal day moving today,and on the last job,was squeezed into the elevator with the customer's things.
I don't know how,maybe I hadn't seated the blade well enough into the sheath,but I guess it got hooked on something,and all the way home,I felt like something wasn't quite right...and found out it wasn't when I went to get changed.
This has been a bad month for me: I lost my lil' CRKT M16-01T spear-point at the lake(or it was stolen,I'm not sure which)...
the first titanium handled knife I've ever owned,in my favorite CRKT design.
I've had to sell off all my other knives,so these were the last of my EDCs :2:
I do have a H&K 14100,but I can't really consider it a "polite carry"
like my lil' Workcliffe,and sure can't use it for work.
RIP lil' Workcliffe!

:oops::eek:hmy::thumbdown::cursing::taz:The first folder that I made was a ladder pattern damascus friction folder with a deer antler handle. The ladder pattern was forged in so when looking at the spline you could see the layers weaving back and forth. It was beautiful and I was very proud of it.

We were building our present home and putting in the underground power line 183' long. I used it at the starting end to cut some tape and when I got to the other end and reached for the knife to cut more tape it was gone. They had already mostly filled in the ditch, 4' deep. I guess that I could start at the end and begin digging 4' deep and maybe find it before I got to the 183' end ,,,,or maybe I dig all that up and not find it. Sooner or later, after I get caught up on everything else, I guess that I can make another one.

I lost my favorite kershaw rainbow Ti knife and got it returned 3 times before it finally disappeared for good.
Ernie

Losing a knife sucks,
losing a favorite knife really sucks,
but Wayne,I almost feel like shedding a tear for that friction folder man...
I guess the lesson for me is, make my sheaths even more secure!!!
(it was a wet-formed sheath,but I kind of rushed it,and it didn't lock the knife in well enough).

In '00 I went to a local gun/knife show in Little Rock one Friday afternoon. Just a few minutes after everyone started setting up an ice storm hit and they announced that they would be closing the show and rescheduling for the next weekend. Before leaving, I picked up a Microtech "Lightfoot LCC D/A" at a STEAL ($225). I carried that knife everywhere to include my first deployment. In '03 I lost it in transit to a field exercise. I wanted to cry like a li' girl and sulked around for at least two weeks after loosing it. Now, seven years later, I still want to shed a tear whenever I think about it.

I've searched high and low for a replacement for that Knife, but every time I come across one just like it the price is way out of budget for me.

I lost a drop point hunter I made for myself. I'm in Ohio and it's somewhere in Kansas. I'm pretty sure it's lying next to a barbed wire fence I crossed outside Burlington.

I can't say I've 'lost' a favorite knife but I had 'misplaced' a few of my very favorite knives. As a pre-teen youngster I had one of those hobo folders (you know... with the knife, fork, spoon and bottle & can openers), a muskrat folder and a fixed blade. They went through alot of use and misuse but they were my favorites! I'm 63 now and it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I 'found' the fixed blade & hobo knife in my basement and the muskrat knife in a box with a bunch of old mementos. Collectively, they probably weren't bought for more than $40 but they have great sentimental value. All were gifts from my father.

DSCN6755-1.jpg

012-1-1.jpg

DSCN8199-1.jpg

I've lost a few through the years . My favorite was my first real knife , a Buck 110 .
I got it for Christmas when I was 11 , a gift from my Step-dad , who gave it to me against my Mothers wishes .​
I can still remember unwrapping it and seeing that box with the Buck logo and just saying real soft "woooowww" . My Step-dad had just given me the same knife he carried every day . I can't even begin to descibe how I felt , he treated his 110 like other men treated their expensive jewelry .
Opening it and hearing that click , sent shivers up and down my spine - I was in Love..​
Then my Mom said , " he's gonna cut himself , he's to young " , as I closed it , nicking myself .​
That box had just a wee little blood spot on it for years ...​
In the beginning I polished it almost every day , with Noxon polish , then once a week up till when I lost it .​
Lost it in the Army , somewhere I couldn't go back for it .. Broke my heart ...​
I always felt a knife like that , that Knife in particular , just couldn't be replaced .. Never tried to ...​
I still miss it ... been almost 30 years ...​

Knives that are given as gifts,that are given in a certain spirit,can never be replaced because it's not the tool itself that's the Gift...
That being said,the Spirit in which they were given,that can never be lost.

Man when I was in Boy Scouts years ago my dad gave me his BoyScout knofe from when he was a kid. And I lost it on the first camp I took it too, I still have an empty space in my stomach from losing that one I have searched and searched ebay for one like just havent found it yet.

I ALMOST lost a knife that is near and dear to me once, and I now have it put up for safe keeping.

My son picked out a folder for me when he was 5 years old, he is now 16. 3 years ago I was helping a friend move and realized when we got to the new place, 20 something miles away, that my knife was gone.

I LEFT there and headed back to to old house to look for my knife. I found it in the road about 1/2 mile from the house. I must have put it on the bedrail or something. That was the longest hour of my life I think.

When I got home I asked my wife to put it in her curio cabinet so I would never have to go through that again! The following weekend #1 son and I went to the local gun shop so I could get a new folder.

Have I lost a favorite knife, no... Have I felt what you guys are, even for a short time, yes...

Charlie

I lost my Buck Tanari late spring this year jumping for neutral race service, never found it and it has not appeared I am hart broken as I have no means of replacing it for now. I spent hours lapping the washer, pivot and stoning all the edges smooth of all the cut/ grind lines.

I've lost EDC knives several times. My current every day carry is a Spyderco Endura ... my third one. Hopefully I'll hang onto this one.

I lost a small folding Buck in my front yard one time and the following spring I found it. All rusty but still sharp as ever. Cleaned it up and good as new.

I guess you can say I didn't lose it but it's gone. While setting in the lumber yard with the rest of my retired friends , a little boy asked his dad for a soda , so as he passed by me , I said wont to trade what I had in my hand for that soda money and he said yes . buy buy Kaybar. carried it for years.
vern

Bill, if you knew where it is, then it wouldn't be lost, would it? I guess that goes along with my friction folder. I know kinda where it is, within 183 feet so I guess it is not lost either.
:s12137:

I guess you can say I didn't lose it but it's gone. While setting in the lumber yard with the rest of my retired friends , a little boy asked his dad for a soda , so as he passed by me , I said wont to trade what I had in my hand for that soda money and he said yes . buy buy Kaybar. carried it for years.
vern

...brother,you gained far more than you 'lost' :
you provided that lil' boy one of his first Rites of Passage into Manhood...his 1st real knife.
You provided him a fine tool that he hopefully will pass on to his kids,
along with the tale of how he came to own it.
He will survive where others may not because of that knife,
and it will serve him as well as it served you,
and he will carry that knowledge with him deep in his soul...
and some day,he will pass all that on to another lil' boy,
thanks to you.
Knowing all that,I'd say you're ahead just a little ;)

A few years ago I lost my father's old timer. It was about 2 years after he passed away. I was pretty upset for quite a while.

Then one day I was going through a drawer of stuff and found it in a tin( I put it in there so I would not lose it)

It was missing for about 1 year. Now its in my lockbox.

Back