Design opinions needed

jkf96a

I've got a blade forged out that I'm having a hard time coming up with a good handle combo for. It's a 9 inch OAL knife, forged from 1958 Ford leaf spring. There's a piece of the spring in the picture, identical in size to the piece this blade started as. The tang is tapered. Haven't decided on whether nor not to do filework yet. I mostly can't decide whether to do a pinned guard, to do bolsters, or to do some pin work. What do you knife folks think? This one is slated for a knife show in Big Spring, TX, if that makes a difference.

100_3870-e1280538646316.jpg

I like file-work,bolsters AND mosiac pins...I'm kind of a junkie for them all together,on the right knife.
(then again,ALL the blades that pass thru my hands get full file-work;it's what I'm known for)

I like #2 ,with 1 mosiac pin in the handle,spaced a little futher back and 1 mosiac in the bolsters.
Filework would also look nice.

God bless,Keith

Jason,

Another vote for pic #2. To get a better feel for the end product I'd erase the bolster pins because you shouldn't be able to see them on the final product. Also I'd keep the front pin and lanyard tube where they are but add a rear pin and a single mosaic in the center.

IMHO mosaic pins can be a nice touch but using multiple mosaics can quickly become too much of a good thing.

Thats my .02

Josh

The no 2 design has the best balance. One thing that will help you with your designs is to add color to your drawings and you can also use this technique to add realism to your layout work. Just cut a slot in the paper and insert the blade. I find that the end product only resembles the original drawing, it never looks exactly like it.

firemans+knife+post+016.jpg
[/IMG]

Back