A.G. Russell Knife Show Thread

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
Well tomorrow starts the A.G. Russell knife show. So I started this for pics that come from there. I will post as I get a chance and permission for pics. If you are going and get some pics please post them. And who all is going? I know for sure that Wayne Jerrett, CJ Bull and Allen Newberry are going to be there and I saw that Aldo Bruno and Chad Nichols will be there. Can't wait to see everyone and hope I make it around to everyone. More tomorrow,

James

What, I'm just chopped liver now? I'm crushed that you forgot me James. :D Nadine and I will be up for Saturday's events. We'll probably leave the house around 9:00 and get there a little before lunch.

OK pics from Friday. Sorry I couldn't get everyone but will get the rest today.

Billy Helton and his wife
PICT0002-2.jpg

Steve Kelly
PICT0003-2.jpg

The New Jersey Steel Baron himself, Aldo Bruno
PICT0009-1.jpg

Chad Nichols ( Chad said to say hello to everyone and sorry he hasn't been on KD in awhile. Computer problems)
PICT0007-2.jpg

And at the SOG Booth was Gunney
PICT0006-2.jpg

More tonight after I get home from the show.

Thanks for Posting the Pics! Sure wish I could have gone to the show. Have a great time!!

I'm sitting about three blocks away having a sandwich with the "Mrs.". I'll be there in about 15-20 and will have photos to post this evening or tomorrow as well.

If any one sees James Ivy (from TX) at the show, tell him to give me a call please..

Hi, I am Bob. I am new on this site.

I was there Friday. I got there about 2 and they had to runn me off at 6 and I still did not get to all the tables.

I wanted to take a lot of pictures to post on a diffrent site but I was too bussy talking and got very few pictures. I will post what I did get if its ok. I already posted them on another site so you may have seen them already.

Busse Table
knifeshowstuff001.jpg

Something new from Busse
knifeshowstuff002.jpg

He said if I take a picture That I need to also let them know its for sale.
knifeshowstuff003.jpg

The Ka-Bar lady. Pictures dont do her justice, she is very pretty in person.
knifeshowstuff004.jpg

My son and the Gunny. My kid is 15 and already a little taller then the Gunny. The Gunny said the Marines like them tall.
MEANDGUNNY002.jpg

The show is a really good show. I cant wait for next year and I hope I have a little more money then I did this year.

Well it was another great day at the show and here are pics for everyone.
Ankrom Exotics (Pat and Lynn
DSCN0676.jpg

Mr. Allen Newberry
DSCN0675.jpg

Murph and Mrs. Murph ( Nadine's knife is bigger than Murph's)
DSCN0678.jpg

Myself with Bob Dozier
DSCN0681.jpg

And a special pic of (from left to right) C.J., A.G. Russell and Wayne Jerrett
DSCN0683.jpg

Had a great time and the BBQ after the show was very good. Will post pics of my haul tomorrow night. I have got to meet alot of people here like Jerry Fisk and Jim Crowell. Great talking to them and all of the other makers there.

Last edited:
As James said, the show was a blast. Nadine and I had the opportunity to visit with "Uncle Aldo", Chad Nichols, Steven Kelly, Billy Helton, and Wayne Jarrett as well as many of my other favorite makers. As James also stated, Nadine's knife is bigger than mine! We stopped by the Busse booth just before the end of the show and picked up a couple of knives. She wanted the larger version of a knife I picked up at BLADE. It's one of the Scrapyard line and it's a beast. I picked up one of the small Busse models. I even won one of the door prizes! It's a really nice little blue jigged bone lock back "Tidioute" #50/50 by Great Eastern Cutlery.

Nadine has decided that she wants to make a knife after finding a board of pink and black layered G-10. We also picked up some other G-10 and some 1" micarta. At Uncle Aldos we got some W-1 and 52100. The wonderfull rep at Carpenter's Steel was kind enough to give James and I each a nice little bar of thier CTS-XHP (SCORE!!!).

Immediately after the show Nadine and I joined a couple of fellow Knife Dogs, Chad Nichols and Steven Kelly as well as Jim and Jennifer Crowell and John Perry and a few others (whose names I have forgotten) in the lounge for a drink prior to going to the BBQ.

The BBQ was great grub. After chow, A.G. Opened up the show room
for after hours shopping where I picked up a CRKT "Ripple". What an
amazing little flipper. A.G. not only had the absolute best price I have found on this model, but he also gave me a 25% military discount. I love how supportive A.G. is of the armed forces as well as all of our law enforcement and firefighters.

Well Katie and myself are off to the show on the last day. This will be Katies first day there so it will be a great time.

James (and Miss Katie), Murph (and Miss Nadine), Mr. & Mrs. Newberry, Billy & Mrs. Helton,

It was great to be able to spend a little time with y'all, See, even this Yankee can adapt a bit. :D We had a great show....spent time with some old friends and made several new ones. CJ got to attend his first show and what a show to be your first. He did great at my table, talking with customers and makers like he'd been doing it for a long time. CJ's father, David, helped out at my table as well providing me a few welcome breaks.

CJ chatted for quite a while with Jerry Fisk and Devin Thomas who were more than happy to spend time with a new young maker. Both of them enjoyed seeing his work and gave some valuable advice...and I assure you...he listened intently to both!

A.G. Russell and Miss Goldie made all of us feel right at home. What wonderful folks. They sure made traveling all this way worth while.

I'll add more later. Right now it's bedtime as we have a 14 hour drive in the morning. Take care "Y'all"!

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

Attachments

• IMG_7066.jpg
    IMG_7066.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7064.jpg
    IMG_7064.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7067.jpg
    IMG_7067.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19
Well Katie had a blast, wish we could have stayed longer. But still a great time. I have to say it was more than I expected.
So some final thoughts,

It was a great time meeting everyone from knife dogs. Made new friends and learned alot during the show.

A.G. Russell was great!! I watched him and everyone that wanted to talk he would talk too.

I was told by Bob Dozier to come down and see one of his shops.

Steven Kelly I can't wait to see the project you were telling me about.

Allen Newberry as soon as I get a couple of days off I hope we can get togather for a day or two.

Billy and Carrie Helton I can't wait to smash more damascus and work on pocket knives. Thanks for the grinding tip.

Chad Nichols it was great seeing your work, wished I could have talked to you more.

Aldo Bruno thank you for all the info you gave me. Will be ordering from you as soon as I can.

Murph and Mrs. Murph it was great meeting you both and I hope next year we can get togather and do some forging.

Wayne Jerrett C.J. and David it was a great time and Wayne, Katie will be getting ahold of you some time next week. It was great!!!! Oh and Wayne, Katie said hopefully next year we can make the trip to CO. Katie loves the drop you made.

Now for my hall from the shop:

Two sheets of G10 (blue and orange)

Paper micarta ( black, two blocks and three sets of scales)

5 blocks of stabilized maple

16 pairs of corby bolts

One piece of Alabama Damascus

6 sticks of 1 1/2"x1/8"x48" 52100

Hope to see everyone next year and hope more dogs can make it. There was some amazing work there. If I wouldn't have been looking for supplies I would have been in trouble real quick.

Last edited:
I can say that Carrie and I had a blast. I met Wayne and CJ for the first time. CJ pulled out some of his knives that he has made for me, to look at, and I gave them a good looking over and I gotta say they were very well built and I was surprised to see such good quality from such a new maker,Wayne has taught him well. Wayne was a pleasure to meet, and to see his work in person was a blessing. Thanks Wayne for the mux oxen material,(probably spelled that wrong)I cant wait to use it after it dries out , Thank you
I also got to meet James wife Katie for the first time and I got to say James is a lucky man I mean Katie was a really out going person and you talk to here for two minutes and it felt like you have known her for years. Katie plans on going to engraving classes, when time allows. That would be awesome to have your misses be a engraver. Thanks for the 52100 James hope you had fun at the show.
When I seen murph and Nadine walking around, I started wondering how all of us knife makers get these beautiful women to marry us. I mean we work long hours, rough hands,were dirty, but they still marry us. Thanks for stoping by my table and chatting .
Stopped by allen and stevens tables several times but I keep getting run off by pesky customers. I did get to admire there work tho. They both had a good show
Thanks to evey one for stopping by

Billy, I know how I landed Nadine. She likes having a guy with a bald head. If she forgets her mirror, she can always use my head when she touches up her make up.

When I seen murph and Nadine walking around, I started wondering how all of us knife makers get these beautiful women to marry us. I mean we work long hours, rough hands,were dirty, but they still marry us.

We are blessed my friend and I am glad of that.

Here are a few more photos from the show.

The first is of my favorite knife I seen at the show. It is a monster chopper in 1095 with Desert Ironwood made by Jim Crowell. If you look close, you will see the natural temper line on the unetched blade. This thing was absolutely gorgeous. Luckily for my wallet, it was already spoken for.
IMG_0121.jpg

Next is a pic of me at the Carpenter Steel booth where I was given a nice little bar of CTS-XHP by the factory rep. No need to fake a smile for this pic.
IMG_0129.jpg

Next is a pic of me holding the door prize knife I won donated by Great Eastern Cutlery. I'm not much for jigged bone handles or lockbacks, but this one is a beauty.
IMG_0130.jpg

Last but not least is a pic of Nadine and I with out two most favorite people, Jim and Jennifer Crowell. I always have a blast hanging out with Jim and Jennifer. The Crowells are really great people and Jim will always be my hero.
IMG_0133.jpg

Back