Grandpaws old grinder

Cliff Fendley

Here are a couple pics of the old grinder that was my great grandfathers and I got it from my grandpaw. The pedals and Oak boards on the side that hold the water pan and the grinding wheel are original but my Grandpaw rebuilt it and replaced much of the rest of the wood about 15 years ago before he passed away. Much of the lower part of the frame had rotted away from sitting in the dirt floor of the stripping room of the Tobacco barn for nearly 40 years.

Back in it's day it was used for various chores on the farm including sharpening Tobacco knives and spears. I still remember sitting in the stripping room peddling that thing when I was a kid.

It's in perfect working condition today, the ball bearings in the shaft are still good and the water tray under the wheel is still intact.
DSCN2483.jpg

DSCN2487.jpg

Edit to add, notice how the knifedog maneuvers to get his mug in the pics.

Last edited:
very cool I like it a lot, now to just teach the dogs to use the pedals H

That is awesome Cliff!! Great condition. Now you can save on your Electric bills!! ;)

That is cool,can't wait to show it to my son.
He's 15 years old,he will work save his money,and go buy antiques.
He will like to see it.
Thanks for sharing

God bless,Keith

That is a great piece of history by itself, but the history you share with it makes it even more interesting.

I love old pieces like that and would love to have the room to collect old farm tools!

Charlie

Very nice Cliff, Now that you have a grinder you can start making knives. :)

I have an old grinder sitting in my smithy, I love old tools like that. It great that your family is keeping the old grinder alive. I enjoyed the pics, thanks for posting.

Larry

Glad everyone enjoyed the pics.

I enjoyed digging it out and playing with it a little. It had been sitting over against a wall for the last few years and became a catch all area with stuff laying on top of it.

You know how you always have that corner of the shop where things get put when there is no where else to put them.

Back