Alligator Gar Knife

naifu

This knife is my fourth, a hidden tang with formica handle. The shape kinda reminds me of an alligator gar.

4830936402_fecf3eb706.jpg

4830320779_77ab54cc45.jpg

The blade is from an old Nicholson file.

I bought "paper micarta" on ebay only to find that it was formica and not micarta, but decided to go ahead and use based on how a couple pieces held up after gluing. I couldn't get a scratch free surface, and the handle finished up a dark grey at 800 grit--I fixed the color but not the fine scratches.

Here is a piece of 3/8" formica with black skin:

4830254829_856f44fb77.jpg

There are some pins hiding under black leather dye that went on top of the handle. Dye will not hide scratches, but it change grey to black. It also hides the black micarta pins in the handle.

I know I have a lot to work on. This knife does feel good in the hand, and cuts well, so that at least is improvement. On to the next...

Yes, that can be one of the problems buying off Ebay. Actually, that's a nice looking knife. Some might think that the handle is a little bulky for the size of the blade, but that's a matter of taste. A person with a larger hand might well appreciate the extra material in the handle.

Doug Lester

Doug I've had a few proportion issues so far--I am trying to turn the comments into a better knife so I appreciate your views.

I like the knife! First off, if you hadn't mentioned the file I would have never guessed it. The blade has a great shape, a very nice grind and finish.

The handle material looks good with the blade style and projects a "hard use" look. The name fits the knife! If one has never tried to "skin" an alligator gar they will not appreciate the need!

For those that may be wondering, alligator gar is a DELICACY once you get it skinned.... This knife would hold up to the skin that sometimes takes sheet metal shears to cut...

Charlie

Very nice design. That blade shape looks like it would be excellent for whittling with while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch, one of my favorite pastimes.

Glad the dye worked out for you. Just remember to scrub the handle really good w/ hot soapy water to get any residual dye off so it can't come off on sweaty hands/clothes.

Charlie/Bootstrap thanks for the comments. VaughnT Thanks again. I tried to rub as much dye off as possible with a paper towel. I will try scrubbing in hot soapy water.

Every knife so far leaves its mark on me. This one left a half inch cut in my left index finger. I won't be so quick to remove the tape from the edge on the next one.

Cool blade. I was just thinking about doing a design in a Gar shape.

Looks like a cool blade man! Well done.

Chris

Back