Service Model

Justin King

After more than a year without actually completing a knife, I have 3 finally ready to go "out and about". These started as a gift for my stepson after he graduated from USMC boot camp. A year and 2 scrapped blades (and a new HT oven) later, this is what resulted.

Blades are made by stock removal from 1/4" Cru-Forge V. Not exactly a conventional choice for this type of knife but it seems up to the task. Full flat ground with tapered and moderately drilled tangs, and differential temper. Finish is grit-blasted and colored in with a sharpie...just kidding! They feature a parkerized finish done by Troy Hansen of Full Canopy Armory, a former serviceman himself and an accomplished armorer/gunsmith.

The top one is my original design concept, it has a 7" blade, 12-1/8" overall.
This one is assembled with screws and threaded inserts so I could play with it, test it and threaten my cat with it before permamnent assembly.
The cat was terrified:D It has brown (natural) canvas micarta grips. This one is going to my wife's cousin, who is deployed in Afghanistan.

The next is wearing black and green G10 and is assembled with flared tubing. This one is my new squeeze, for "evaluation purposes". This one has a blade just under 6" and is 11" overall.

Last is the one that is going to my stepson, with dark brown canvas micarta and flared tubing. The blade is 6" and overall is 11-1/8".

All 3 have digi camo kydex, desert flavor with Molle Loks for the two headed to service, and forest colors for mine.

Attachments

• servicemodel 015 (2).jpg
    servicemodel 015 (2).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 74
  • servicemodel 006 (2).jpg
    servicemodel 006 (2).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
That's a great lookin package. I always love reading stories about great custom knives going to my fellow service members.

Really nice work, Justin. They all look solid as a rock. They should make great knives for those who are deployed or are about to be. Semper Fi to your stepson.

Thanks guys, your comments are very much appreciated. These were a long time in the making but hopefully will serve their owners well.

Great work. They look like great service knives.

Craig

Back