My Recent Find

Patrick

Thought I'd share this with all you KnifeDogs. I found this sperm whale tooth at a local sale. The guy that had it wasn't sure if it was real or not so I told him I'd buy it anyway. By the look of it I could tell it was in fact a real tooth by the pith in the bottom. The scrimshaw looked nice so I grabbed it and took it home to check out.

After looking it over with a magnifier I couldn't find any initials which would have made it more valuable. The work was nice and after having an expert evaluate it he concluded that it was modern work and worth maybe a few hundred bucks. Had it been done on a whaling vessel with noted initials it could have been worth thousands.

So I got me a cool momento of maritime history far from the sea.

Pat

Attachments

• Scrim Tooth1 004.jpg
    Scrim Tooth1 004.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 61
When I was a kid (Don't go there Bubba's). You could get them in the shops downtown all scrim'd. They also had barrel's fill up with whale's teeth not scrim'd. This was in the late 50's and it's the 1950's, not the 1850's. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!
New Bedford where I live, was the Whaling Capitol of the World.;)

I have a pretty good collection of ivory and whale teeth . You have to be extremly carefull when buying whale teeth, They are being reproduced . The quickest way to tell authentic ivory , whale or elephant , they will have tiny dark/ light parallel lines kind of looks like lithograph printing lines. No lines I would steer clear .

Back