Gents pair in Ironwood

Josh Dabney

Here's my latest effort. A Gent's belt-&-boot combo.

These are "probably" my last two stock-removal knives as I'm on the brink of getting my hot shop set-up and plan to stay focused on forging in the future.

Belt knife specs-
5 1/2" fully hardened 1095 (5/32" stock with brine quench :eek:)
(1st) framed handle construction (also 1095)
Nickel silver bolstered guard pinned and fully soldered.
Nickel silver pins and lanyard tube
Desert Ironwood coffin handle
Tooled belt sheath

Boot knife specs-
3 1/2" full tang single edge spear point with swedge and tapered tang (1095)
Nickel silver pins and lanyard
desert Ironwood
Tooled sheath with hand forged boot clip

SirCharles109.jpg

SirCharles106.jpg

SirCharles105.jpg

SirCharles101.jpg

SirCharles097.jpg

SirCharles113.jpg

SirCharles088.jpg

All comments and critiques are welcomed, encouraged, and greatly appreciated fellas so please let me know what you think !

-Josh

Alright Josh, you asked for critiques, so here it goes. Your boot clip is leaning to the right. I can't believe you would make a mistake like that (then again, it could just be the perspective of the photo is off center :D ).

They look awesome! Keep up the great work!!!

Josh, Nice pair to draw from. Those coffin handles are real classy. Glad to hear your going to concentrate on forging.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Josh, I have watched your progress for almost a year now and you keep getting better and better and better. What a nice pair of knives and sheaths! And that clip is great. How do you find time to do all this when you have all those linesiders just a cast away?

Josh, I remember when You were still wet behind the ears. You are making progress in leaps and bounds. These two beauties are evidence of your dedication.

I still like the handle on the one in you Avatar best though. That one is going to be tough to beat.

Next time you come through Walla Walla please stop and give me a sheath making lesson. Man these are cool.

Josh,
I really like the work you die on the sheaths. Very original and straight forward design.
The coffin handles are lovely and go well with the woods you chose.

Thanks for sharing, Fred

Thanks for the feedback fallas !

Murph- believe it or not I knew in advance that the clip was slightly off and even filed the rivet hole over to compensate for it but apperently I riveted it on the original side of the oblong hole :eek: Thanks for noticing Buddy 2thumbs

Bing- It's been my intension to forge all along but boy it sure seems as though it's taken me forever to get to where I'm at. I was hoping to have a firm grasp of basic knifemaking before adding forging to the mix. I think I'm ready for the forging challenges that lay ahead though.

Denny- I'm a stay home dad of a 2 year old son and a 5 month old daughter. After supper this guy heads to the garage ;)

Bruce- if I ever make it out your way you'll be the first to know !! I'd have a hard time believing you'ld learn much in the way of sheathmaking from me but I'd certainly try to share anything I could with ya.

:bud:

Fred- I was shooting for classy and custom without bling. Sounds like I might have done alright 2guns

Thanks again for the comments fellas !

-Josh

That is a very classy pair. I prefer knives that are fairly simple and undecorated but after some years it seems like I rarely see such a knife anymore that is remarkable enough to really attract my attention. These do.The clip on the boot sheath is a touch that adds a lot of character. Very nicely done.

Dang Josh,
You have really come a long ways in a short time. The knives look great. You really did good with that ironwood too.

Thanks guys,

Mark- I forgot to mention that the larger knife is in fact Burl Source scales. That poor lonely odd triangle shaped set that nobody seemed to want. I'm sure not complaining though ! I picked that set to be a hopefull color match to the smaller set that I already had on hand.

Thanks again Buddy !

-Josh

Back