soldiering stainless

RodneyJ

please help I'm trying to soldier a stainless knife and guard. I had a piece of soldier given to me at a knife supply store. The guy said it works great and is easy to use. I can not get it to adhere to the stainless. I used all of the piece that was given to me and will have to buy some what should I buy? Will the soldier they sell at Radio shack work. I dont really wont to make the trip back to the knife supply as it is over an hour drive on the other side of town

please help I'm trying to soldier a stainless knife and guard. I had a piece of soldier given to me at a knife supply store. The guy said it works great and is easy to use. I can not get it to adhere to the stainless. I used all of the piece that was given to me and will have to buy some what should I buy? Will the soldier they sell at Radio shack work. I dont really wont to make the trip back to the knife supply as it is over an hour drive on the other side of town[/QUOTE Was it the low temp silver bearing solder or high temp thst requires acetylene or propane and oxygen. Did you clean the surface and use flux? If so what kind of flux. SS can be a little trickey to solder. It developes a passive oxide that needs to be removed prior to soldering. a stainless brush on a dremel works well for cleaning.

Mark

Markm
I did clean it but did not use flux all soldier I have used has always had the flux in it that could be the problem. Not sure if it was high or low temp the guy that gave me the soldier told me it was ok to use a propane torch and that is what I used. It went on really nice in fact I was impressed how good I had done untill I tried to file it and then it just came off in one peice.

flux

If it is low temp silver bearing solder you want to use stay-clean flux. It also goes by the name stay brught. It is made by harris and works well on most metals. The trick is not heating the flux directly so it doesnt burn. Home-depot has a version of the flux and solder. It is lead free,silver bearing soft solder.

Mark

Back