Oh the things I have been missing!

CTaylorJr

I got started making knives back in the early 80s in FFA and continued on until college activities, marriage, and career took over. I’ve never forgotten about knife making, but I did forget a few of the great things that go along with it!

The feel of a warm piece of metal in your hands that resembles exactly what you had in mind.

The satisfaction you get when you are required to change the shape of the knife mid grind and it still looks good!

Giggling like a school girl when the carbon layer from HT comes off easily since you took the time to get the blade smooth before HT.

Being as nervous as a kid at Christmas while you wait for the knife to finish its first temper session so you can touch it again!

Watching the scales you epoxied on last night take shape today better than you had anticipated they would.

Holding the roughed out handle in your hand and feeling just how good it fits in the palm.

And my favorite, which I had truly forgotten, the smell of Mother’s wax on your hands after the final hand rub finish on the knife… When I first popped the top on the can it literally took me back 15 years!

It’s great to be back into this world and I appreciate the welcome received here and the willingness for others to share their knowledge!

I think I’ll be at it for quite a while this trip! I have a LONG way to go before I am to the point of trying to peddle anything, but I have the time and will to get there!

Thanks Dogs!

Charlie

"Ah, the smell of napalm in the morning...."

Pictures or it never happened! ;)

useless1

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

Brother,you give me a warm happy,fuzzy feeling with your words!:D
Although I'm still mostly a knife 'builder',
I know what you mean about most everything you said
(haven't experienced the joy of heat-treating,etc yet though).
Especially when the whole flow of the knife just feels as good as it looks and the balance is sweet...
I can't wait to see your work!
(momma always said "if it's worth having,it's worth waiting for"!)
:D

Charlie, I know just what you mean. I was away from knives for about 4 yrs and just started back at it this year. I'm glad you're back at it and don't forget....we like pictures.

Larry

The wife left yesterday on a cruise with her mother and took both cameras! :eek:

I found an ANTIQUE Kodak digital in the back room that has a memory card the size of a matchbook in it and it runs off of AA batteries. I have some batts charging so we'll see if I can get some shots of what I have completed thus far... Maybe a WIP shot as well... :D

Now where is that darn download cable.....

Charlie

Last edited:
Ohh Charlie , how right you are. I still get that feeling when a handle gets roughed out, and the feel of a nice hollow grind is awesome.
Welcome to the dog pound and back to the obsession.

Well, the antiquated Kodak didn't pan out so I had to wait until tonight to post a pic of what all I have done thus far.

None of these knives are complete by a long shot. Detail work that needs to be done, etc...

What I have listed:

14" OAL chef knife from a blank with lacewood scales (gently modified on blade end by handle to meet my needs)

7" OAL paring knife from a blank with red Micarta scales

7.5" OAL knife from file with bone, leather, copper, and wood handle. (this one was made from dimensions I took from a soapstone carving of a knife my mother has that she got in Sweden back in the 70s/80s. Going to give it to her when complete. Earlier pics of the knife can be found here: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?10856-1st-knife-in-15-years-almost-done!)

8.5" OAL WIP drop point skinner made from a file with mesquite scales. (This knife will be given to my uncle. The file used for this knife, and the one for my mother, used to belong to their great uncle.)

DSCN0210.jpg

Now I just need to quit making OTHER knives and finish these critters! :rolleyes:

Charlie

Back