My Antique Grinder

S

scroller99

I hope this attachment works, I wanted to show you my old grinder, home made by my greatgrandfather, still works like a charm. thanks for looking Howard

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 202
That's an interesting drive system, maybe from an old washing machine, just a guess.

Those open gears are kinda scary though :eek:

Very cool that you have it and care about it. 2thumbs

Looks neat. One piece of advice, don't even consider attaching a motor to it. One of the guys on another board did that and the wheel came appart on him. On chunk with through the roof of his shead and another bashed in the casing to the motor on his belt grinder. If he had been hit it would have probably put him in the hospital or six feet under.

Doug Lester

Looks neat. One piece of advice, don't even consider attaching a motor to it. One of the guys on another board did that and the wheel came appart on him. On chunk with through the roof of his shead and another bashed in the casing to the motor on his belt grinder. If he had been hit it would have probably put him in the hospital or six feet under.

Doug Lester

I was going to say the same thing I remember reading about it, they weren't designed to run at the RPM's a motor would spin them at. Wonder if it would be worthwhile to hook like a foot pedal up like the old spinning wheels for yarn and using it to sharpen??

Doug Lester

Looks as though it has a motor.I remember reading that also,
but my guess would be with that gearbox it's not turning many RPM

That would be a very cool piece to have2thumbs
and it being made by your Great-Grandfather,makes it all the better.

God bless,Keith

Nice old grinder , Glad that it still works good . Those old wheels are hard to find . My teacher , when I was stationed in japan , used one about that size . He used to rough grind samurai swords and knives with it !!!! Cool.

The old rig spins real slow, and I think it is a washing machine gear drive.the output on the motor has a piece of gas line as the torque suppresor. The gears are a long way away from you hands if your standing/sitting at the wheel, and you wouldn't ever lean that hard on the wheel to worry about slipping into the gears. thanks for looking and the comments Howard

Neat! I'll have to take some pics of on old one that belonged to my grandfather, I think it was my great grandfathers handed down to him. You still have to peddle it though.

I see what you mean about the motor. I guess I was looking at some of the stuff piled around it and something looked like a crank handle.

Doug Lester

Back