Help!...sourcing out a high carbon santuko blade...

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
Hey folks,don't know if this is the best place for this...
I have a friend who wants to surprise his wife with a decent high carbon santuko style knife (she's been wanting one for ages).
It's their anniversary Aug 7th (as he just told me today :eek: )
He was going to buy one,and asked me if I'd add some file-work,and re-handle it in some of the brazilian walnut (he did his kitchen floor in it,and wants the knife to accent the kitchen).
He gave me a smokin' deal on a whole bunch of the brazilian walnut when I needed some wood for a project,and I want to get him a blade,trick it out with file-work etc.,as a Thank you...
I looked at some of the ( Jantz,Classic knife kits,etc)blade kits available in the (under $50) range,but they're all stainless steel.
Anyone know of,or have a 7"-8" blade that would fit my meager budget?
I would be willing to offer some sweet,highly figured quilted & lace maple in partial trade too!
And/or,wickedly figured 2" X 3" X 6" blocks of black walnut crotch, (I only have $45 in my paypal)
(I have more,and better scales than this,and a few blocks)

DSCN0363.jpg

Thanks,and if this ain't the right place for this,feel free to smack me,and tell me where to stick it ;)

Here's a few sets of scales I just cut from the walnut;
a couple of them have some curl!
DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

Last edited:
IW,
Check out Jantz Supply again, The have Santuko blades in VG10 laminated steel, some with bolsters. I checked these blades out at BLADE SHOW and they were really nice. You can get em quick. If you need something waterproof, like Corian, for handles, let me know. i got it coming out of my ears.

Steve

lol,that's the first place I looked when he asked me about doing this,
and that 14" santoku knife in 1095 steel was the one I was going to get,
but now I have this dead-line and don't have time to finish the blade,file-work it and send it for heat-treat :(

Thanks for checking that out Steve,that's the one I'd get,but it exceeds my current budget;if I had another 2 weeks I could afford it.

Story of my life...
not enough time,or money :D

just buy a good JP style san mai blade (has handle on it) and make a new WA handle for it
most JP style (WA handles ) kitchen knives are handled with the cheapest wood they can find as they are looked at as tools

I looked at a bunch,but all were stick-tang;
he wants a full-tang,fully file-worked,and mokume bolsters.
Ideally I'd love to get him (her!) a san mai blade,but my cash-flow right now says "nope".

IW,
Check out cutleryandmore.com
They have Chicago cutlery and other Santuko's priced right.
maybe you can rebuild one for your freind.
Steve

Been busy and forgot to message you. Nadine dropped a package of snacks in the mail to you Friday morning.

Thanks Mitch!
I haven't got my monthly email from WorldKnives yet,and didn't think to check there...
I have a stainless one on-route (thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Murph!)
but was thinking of getting another:that way she can have her choice of stainless or high carbon.
(I don't have either and will keep one for myself!)
I think that maruysho is just the ticket even though it's not full-tang;
what I was thinking was a thin,file-worked strip of steel inlaid to simulate a full-tang...

No worries mate.
I'm thinking of a roselli Ulu, was comparing prices when I cane across that 1.
Rather than metal backstrap, some marqetry would dress it up too.
cheers
mitch

Back