Am I alone in this?

Jarrettknives

Hi Gang,

When I open up my browser first thing in the morning I look up top at the bar containing all of my book marks - the links to my most visited sites. The first one is KnifeDogs.com...right next to that is another very popular knife forum link, then Google, then Netflix, etc.

I immediately click on KD and check out "New Posts" and/or "Today's Posts" and sit back with my first cup of coffee and browse. It is a great way to start my day. Then, out of sheer curiosity or habit, I open up another tab and click on that other knife forum link.

Almost immediately (I'm not kidding) I get sort of a sinking feeling and my blood pressure prepares to go up. I read a few threads and I notice that there is just not the same feeling that I get over here on KD - I mean it's almost as if KD.com were a physical place that can generate feelings when you walk in. At the other place, I sense greater competition and tension. I definitely don't feel the comradery when reading the replies. It's weird I know. So, after maybe five minutes, I close that tab, and go back to KD and refresh to see what else may be new that I missed when I was gone. The comfortable feeling of being with old friends returns very quickly. I then head down to my shop ready to start my day - and meanwhile, I leave KD on the computer so when I come in to get a drink of water or whatever, I can glance and see what else is new.

I just have to say that I've never made as many friends in such little time as I have here at KD. My thanks goes out to all of you and especially BossDog for creating a place that feels like home. Okay, enough sharing of feelings...let's put away the "talking stick" and loin cloths.....Wayne "Alan Alda" Jarrett has to get to work. ;)
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

I check my e-mails, then go to KD click on "Quick Links" "Today's Posts" and see what Wayne Jarrett has posted, along with all the other new posts. These are the only two things I check. I don't feel a need to go anywhere else.

nice comments. thank you. that is what we continue to try to do here and it couldn't happen with out the membership and other moderators..

I have been gone for a few weeks and I found myself wondering what I was missing on KD as I sat on the boat fishing, LOL So yes, I can relate..

Its the first stop after emails in the morning!

Greatest knife site on the net is how I would describe it! :)

And I agree totally that the other sites have a different feel and vibe!

Thanks to everyone who makes this place ROCK!

Ditto 100% for me.

I have met great people here and count all of you as freinds. Not a day goes by that I'm not checking KD for something. My wife claims that I nod and say "right on" a lot when I'm here.

She claims it's a mental disorder.

Yeah, but it's a good one.

Steve

Hey guys, I know what you mean. I check KD 3 or 4 times a day. My wife says I act like a drug addict, gotta have my fix for the day. You can see by the number of posts, I hang out here a lot. :) Yes it does seem to make the day go a little better and I hope we can keep this atmosphere forever.

Thanks to all that makes Knife Dogs the best forum on the internet.

Larry

My wife says I act like a drug addict, gotta have my fix for the day.Larry

Larry - We MUST be married to sisters! I cracked up when I read that as I hear the same exact words from my lovely bride too. I tell her KD is like vitamins for knife addicts.

I can't wait to meet a bunch of you next week at the A.G. Russell show in Arkansas!
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

During the work week I wake up, smoke my morning cigarette, drink some coffee, Check my email, then come to Knife Dogs. I usually hit New posts then leave for work.

I have 3 breaks at work and I check my email on every one of them.:eek:

I subscribe to every thread that I post in and get instant email notices when anyone posts in those threads.

When I get home from work the first thing I do is again check email, go to any threads that are subscribed with new posts then I come to Knife Dogs and click on the new posts link.
I usually have 3 windows open by now and I am also checking my website email.
Normally During a work week I am on a lot. I usually check the new posts at least 6 times a evening. I also check around in the different categories. My computer is currently at the kitchen table so I am on it during meals.

If i have nothing pressing to do I will go through the makers forums and look for interesting stuff:rolleyes:

For Saturdays, Sundays and days I am not at work or laid off I am checking in with my coffee cup in hand and am usually at the computer for 1 to 3 hours.:cool: Then I will go work in the shop or the yard for a bit then come back in and check Knife Dogs. I usually do this a few timed through out the day then I am usually at the computer for a couple hours before bed.

I have been getting into a couple other Knife sites lately but I am not on them no where near as much as this place.

I love it hear, And all you people I consider friends................To be totally honest and to say something
I have never really had much for friends, always been kind of a loner, I am not the sharpest knife in the block, and I am not the best with words(hey that reminds me), Most that know me say I have some disorder where I do not like to be around people or be in public. This is true. I get nervous and feel funny if I am in a big group of people. I do not like to do a lot of things unless it is with a few people that I know.
About the only places I do not feel this is gun shows and here, Heck I even feel different when I visit or post on other forums, But it is a lot easier over computer screen.

With that said, I am so used to talking with you all that I can't wait to make it to some of these knife shows and meet in person. I Know it wont bother me because I have built relationships with a lot of you on here and that's when I know I will be fine.
I consider this place my home away from home and I really enjoy all your company.

Thanks again to Tracy, and all the admin, mods, members and future members for giving me a place I feel welcome2thumbs

I have to agree with everyone else. Knifedogs has become part of our daily routine. We're on here several times during the day... every day... reading and learning. The members here have made us feel very welcome.

Tracy, you and the moderators have done a great job here and I hope as the forum grows, it retains the same welcoming feeling.

Christina

I used to spend 90% of my online time on another knife forum. After being off-line
for several months, I stumbled across KD. There are three reasons why I like KD
better:

1) Leadership. The forum rules are very clear about "no drama" and the mods do a
good job of gently putting an end to it when it does happen (which is very rare).
The mods don't throw thier weight around. I don't see any "cliques" here. The
masters and beginners, tactical guys and traditional guys, forgers and grinders all
treat each other with courtesy. As it should be!

Also related to the forum rules... I'm not here to look at naughty pics, make fun of
new guys or argue about politics. Virtual fights about favorite this-or-that bore me
to tears. There are tons of sites where you can do all that; it's nice to come to a
knife forum and just talk knives. Following the KD rules has helped me keep my own
ego in check and be constructive, and sometimes just keep my big yap shut. It's also
nice to let my kid browse around without her seeing or reading inappropriate
material.

2) Size. Bigger isn't always better. I'd love to see KD grow and prosper, but not if
it means every dipstick with an "opinion" clutters up the server with the same old
arguments.

3) Community spirit. In the few short months I've been coming here, I've watched
total newbies become respected makers doing really good work. I've never seen so
many giveaways, raffles for good causes, and pass-arounds in such a relatively small
forum. Yes, these things happen on other forums also, no question, and that's great.
But it's really pretty amazing when you compare the number of members here to the
amount of giving.

I'm proud to be part of this forum, and will strive to contribute in my own small
way.

I agree. There is a fresh breeze here and the people are the best anywhere. I call KD home and stop here at least 10 times a day.

It's because we got the best members here and there's a huge amount of respect for everyone. You guys are the reason this place is so nice. Thanks for all the support!
-John

Knife Dogs is the best knife based web site. There are a lot of folks that don't know it yet but they will figure it out and join the party. We will welcome them with up arms and watch as Knife Dogs grows. I am confident that the moderators will keep the party safe and lively while not tolerating the jerk that puked in the fish tank.

well said everyone not much to ad except its a wander we ever finish a nife. deff. best site around.

Back