A new Norton sandpaper

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
Have you tried the Norton 3X sandpaper sheets ? It was that's what I had to get because the regulars were out of stock in 120 and 220 They are more expensive for sure but they are GOOD especially on titanium liners ! They don't load up and are suposed to last 3 times as long as their old stock . Frank

What are they good for sanding? Woods and metals? And are they dry sanding only, or can they be used wet too?

Thanks

Frank, I use them all the time and they work great for me. I use the 60, 120 & 220. I won't use anything else.

Mike, they work great on both wood & metal, but as Frank said, they are great on titanium. I use them dry, but they still work if you get them wet. I don't know about actually using them with a lot of water though, I never use them that way.

Last edited:
Same experience here fellas. !

I use 220 and 320 with great results. Once I got a pack of 400 which was sweet but I've never seen it again.

I use it all the time with Mobile 1 as a lubricant and it holds up fine to that.

-Josh

They are not new, I have been using them for a few years. Once you get to 220 grit you are probably better served by wet or dry (on metal at least) but in the coarser grits the Norton 3x works well, if you don't try to use too much pressure.

I use the 220 as a starting grit on hand finishing the blade. It works great to take out those pesky grinding marks that you thought were gone with the grinder.

From there I go to 3-M wet/dry and go through the grits.

3X cuts fairly aggressively, but doesn't seem to last much longer than wet/dry.

I also use it on handles.

Never tried it with any lubricant. Didn't figure it would hold up.

You can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Robert

Back