buffers

v-6

what model a buffer do you use 1725, 3600 and where did you get it?
vern

I have a Jet 1 hp in 1725, and a Baldor 3/4hp in 1725......the Jet came from a local outfit during a "sale", and the 3/4hp Baldor came from Pop's Knife Supply many moons ago.

If your thinking of anything faster than 1725, you need to re-think it! Early in my knifemaking career, my first buffer was a 3600rpm Baldor, which I purchased because it was cheap.....it nearly killed me on a couple of occasions! The very last time I ever used it, I lost control of a blade, the buffer literally threw through it THROUGH the shop wall and out into the back yard...there was a hole in the wall that I could put my fist through. I unplugged it, unbolted it from the bench, and gave it away a week later.

Most folks have heard the horror stories about high speed buffers....and for good reason. They are nothing but traps that maim or kill.

I have Baldor 1 1/2 HP buffers. Both speeds. I don't use the high speed very much and could get by without it. The 3600 rpm buffer is about 10 times more dangerous.

Vern, No matter how careful you are with a high speed buffer sooner or later you will move the knife in a position that the buffer will grab the blade and it will come off the buffer with tremendous force. I have had it happen to me and I have witnessed it when watching others. It could be a deadly incident.

I would choose a 1725 RPM or comparable buffer, it won't throw the blade at you as hard.:)You still have to be extremely careful with the slower buffers too.

Larry

I gave away my Baldor 3600 rpm buffer 2 weeks ago.
I hadn't used it in 2 yrs. I've been using a 1725 rpm buffer with different hardness felt wheels which do grab but seem to twist the blade if it's held firmly. I feel much safer and confident when using the buffer now but you still have to pay attention.

Rudy

Back