knife etching

R

roger46

I am fairly new knifemaker and would like to start putting my name and maybe a date on my handmades. I Have seen Etch-o-matics and personelizers from basics to high end units. Do I start with low budget or go for the higher amp units and how hard is it to make the stencils? Any help would be appreciated.

Check the tutorial forum, there are several dogs who have made their own etchers. As far as stencils go, they can be homemade also but the one guy to get premium stencils from is Ernie Grospitch. Search his name, you won't be sorry and he has some simple designs if you dont need artwork.

Steve

Hey BigErn,
help this guy out.

I recommend Ernie Grospitch also. He makes great stencils. I had him do 2 logos for me. I use the etch-o-matic. Etch-o-matic sells their stuff on ebay also. You can get a great deal their. I started with the smaller unit and moved up to the bigger unit they carry. I like the bigger unit better since i can get a deeper etch.

Cool, I was thinking about the bigger unit for the bigger amps. Thanks.

I recommend Ernie Grospitch too, He is great to work with. I made my etcher from the same tutorial Big Ern used and it works great. The fellows last name is Jim Crawford I believe. Go to his site and check out his tutorial.

Larry

Check the tutorial forum, there are several dogs who have made their own etchers. As far as stencils go, they can be homemade also but the one guy to get premium stencils from is Ernie Grospitch. Search his name, you won't be sorry and he has some simple designs if you dont need artwork.

Steve

Hey BigErn,
help this guy out.

LOL....OK Steve!!

Roger, Making stencils is harder than I thought it would be, There is a lot involved in the process and you do need some specialty equipment that can be home made. I am still trying to collect the stuff needed to give it a try.

The best stencils that I know of are from Ernie Grospitch. he will help you design them and he had very good opinions of what will and will not work on such a small scale. As far as I know.....His stencils can't be beat
here is a link to his site
http://www.erniesknives.com/knifemaker_stencil.html
We also have a resident Designer that has designed stencils for a bunch of guys on here
His username is Rock and he is good!!
Here is a link to his profile
http://knifedogs.com/member.php?u=1708

As for your etcher, there are a few models that you can get for I think around $150 bucks. USA Knife Maker Supply has one Here
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/personalizer-p-2175.html

Or you can try your hand at making an etcher, I did and I am really happy with the results. I built mine from Chris Crawford's plans and it was really easy, took me a couple hours, and cost way less.
Here is a link to the tutorial on building the etcher
http://chriscrawfordknives.com/#/electro-etching-unit/4535265119

For the etching there are chemicals that can be bought But I just use salt water. As soon as Boss gets them in at USA Knife Maker Supply I will be ordering some just to try out!

If you need anymore help please feel free to pm me or post up for all to answer

Last edited:
super info...I really appreciate it. Will try to build one Will let you know how it turns out, Roger

I know I am being picky here but the Chris Crawford plans are really Bob Warner plans, Chris just asked me if he could do the tutorial and I gave permission. I have not said anything about this for a couple years mostly but I put a LOT of work into the etcher and stencil making box and sharing it so I want people to know where it came from.

Several people have done tutorials on it and share the info without the user knowing where it started. Chris gave me credit but nobody seems to notice.

Do I want praise and many thanks, no, not at all but it is my etcher and just want people to know that I worked my butt off to make it happen and don't like hearing other people's names mentioned when the etcher is recommended to others.

Sorry for interrupting.

YES, I am a bit testy tonight and it is not anyone's fault.

Last edited:
Bob I built your etcher and after re-checking the website now I just realized your name is right in the first paragraph. I never even noticed I just went right to the parts list and followed from there. Even though I had essentially no idea on how to wire it (thanks again Rusty if you're reading) it was a massive help. Thanks for coming up with the design.

I know I am being picky here but the Chris Crawford plans are really Bob Warner plans, Chris just asked me if he could do the tutorial and I gave permission. I have not said anything about this for a couple years mostly but I put a LOT of work into the etcher and stencil making box and sharing it so I want people to know where it came from.

Several people have done tutorials on it and share the info without the user knowing where it started. Chris gave me credit but nobody seems to notice.

Do I want praise and many thanks, no, not at all but it is my etcher and just want people to know that I worked my butt off to make it happen and don't like hearing other people's names mentioned when the etcher is recommended to others.

Sorry for interrupting.

Bob, I am sorry I will start giving you credit when credit is due on the original design of the etcher. I also looked past it. I apologize.

Also could you please remove the swear word from you post? This is a G-rated forum. Thanks

Do I want praise and many thanks, no, not at all but it is my etcher and just want people to know that I worked my ass off to make it happen and don't like hearing other people's names mentioned when the etcher is recommended to others.

Sorry for interrupting.

Bob, I too want to apologize. I didn't realize this was your design. And I want to thank you for your hard work designing the etcher, it is a great machine and the design is very easy to build and best of all it works Great.

Larry

opps

Wow, this sure got stirred up. Got the plans and have already started building it..already had most of the Electronic stuff. Thanks again, Roger

Back