Anyone into rocks?

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I was talking with a guy at work who collects Lake Superior Agates and I told him that it would be cool to have one as a shift knob in my 70 ford truck.

He then went and grabbed one from the back of his truck and gave it to me.
It is the perfect shape but it needs to be polished then drilled out so I can epoxy a threaded insert into it.
I was also thinking of getting the top lapped smooth and then engrave the lines and numbers of the shift sequence into it.
He has a saw but thats it. I am going to help him build a tumbler but not for a while/
Is there anyone here who can work rocks?

Maybe find a lapidary forum? or... anyone near you make gravestones/monuments and whatnot? I bet they could do all that. There's a monument place here in town, I could call and get a quote if you want.

Maybe find a lapidary forum? or... anyone near you make gravestones/monuments and whatnot? I bet they could do all that. There's a monument place here in town, I could call and get a quote if you want.

First I want to see if any dogs can do it but if not I might have to take you up on that offer!!

Thanks

I'm kinda into rocks... but more from a collectors standpoint, not a working standpoint.

This is a shot I took for a thread on another board.

IMG_2375.jpg

My wife is into rocks -- diamonds, rubies, that kind of thing; and boy can she work them.:biggrin:

Sorry Ern, I just couldn't resist.

Hope you find some help, it sounds like a neat project.

Carey

Pushing a rock, Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock,Pushing a rock....................Pushing a rock.
[video=youtube;2Cx7C43DH9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cx7C43DH9Y&feature=related[/video]

Dave, what a hoot. There must be dozens of videos of dogs pushing rocks. I never knew they would do that. All of mine just seem to lie on the couch and sleep.
:s12137:

You guys crack me up!!

Thanks for any help.

I still have not found anyone so I am going to give the gravestone maker a try.
James, pm coming your way later!!

Back