My Folder Was Siezed By U.K. Customs!!

SPAknives

:(:confused:

What the hell is a matter with them!!???
I have shipped several knives over seas to U.k., Germany, France, Australia, Hong kong, with no troubles what so ever. It always makes me a little nervouse, but I thought the U.K. was one of the safer countries to ship to. I shipped a folding knife to a customer in Derby U.K. after about 2 weeks I started getting concerned and emailed him. He wrote saying he never received the knife. I checked the post office and they wasn't sure what was going on. He then contacted me again and said he had located it at there customs department & they had siezed it as an offensive weapon! They were threatening of destroying it! That is B.S. It's not like it is a weapon of mass destruction or anything. I would like to at least have it returned to me. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up. If anyone has any info on how to get it returnd it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Shane

In the UK you'll find large oil barrels outside police sub stations for collecting knives, and the government encourages people to go about knife free by throwing them away in those barrels. There are laws governing words you can say about your knives. Kitchen knives are under development that make it hard to stab with them, meaning large round points - I guess the powers that be watch the angry chef shows. You expect there would be no problems getting a knife into the country?

It COULD be a dishonest customs agent, but not likely. I've sent knives and pens all over the world (but not the UK) with no problems. The 10" "hunting knife" to Italy was supposed to be the worst (according to the customer) but it sailed right through. The buyers in foreign countries have to take the responsibility for what they order. It's not your fault that the government agencies in their countries won't let knives in.

Sorry you lost the knife.

David

Shane if you put that it was a knife that is the first problem. I hate to post this but if you go to british blade forums they have several stickies that tell how to ship knives to the U.K.. If I remember right you label it as a tool. But please don't quote me. If you get a chance shoot J. Neilson a pm and ask him how he does it. He ships over there. If memory serves me right folders aere illegal over there. Please don't quote me on any of this because I am not 100% sure.

Thanks David, Tracy, James, & Cliff for your concerns.
It wasn't assisted. It was just a liner locking folder. Probley the best damn one I have made so far is what realy makes me mad!! It was all black ( Carbon fiber and Mammoth bone) with a damascus blade and a skull on the lanyard. So it may have been somewhat intimidating looking.
So Now I feel like I owe the guy a partial refund or something. Seemed like a realy good guy. What do you do with that part of the situation??

It was probably seized because it has a locking mechanism ( liner lock). IIRC, slip joints are the only legal folders, thus the Spyderco UK penknife. When, I ship overseas I tell customers that I can not be held responsible for customs seizing the knife. International shipping is at their risk. That's my policy.
-John

It was probably seized because it has a locking mechanism ( liner lock). IIRC, slip joints are the only legal folders, thus the Spyderco UK penknife.

Thats probably it, the blade of a folder may not lock open (friction folders are allowed with under 3" blade) I always put down tool or camp tool.

When, I ship overseas I tell customers that I can not be held responsible for customs seizing the knife. International shipping is at their risk. That's my policy.
-John

And that is a good policy. The buyers have to take responsibility for the laws of their own countries. It's not your fault, Shane, that UK customs seized the knife.

I have that same policy, and it applies to insurance and taxes.

I have been asked to label the knives as a hunting knife, a camping knife, and just a tool. I've been told that gardening tool works for the UK. However, I don't know that any of those titles really work with customs. And with FedEx you have to choose from an approved list of what can be shipped into a particular country, and those things aren't on the list. Your customers just have to understand that you cannot be held responsible for theft or damage of an under insured and under valued knife, and that if customs confiscates it or someone steels it it's not your fault. I've never had a foreign customer worry about it, and I've never lost a knife or pen either. But then I've never shipped one to Merry Olde England either.

It's unfortunate, but I'm sure Mr. Broadwell and Mr. Barker are right... the best you can do is cover your butt and let the customer assume the risk.

Thanks for the info fellors!
The customer does accept responsability, & he knows it is in his hands to try and recover the knife. I guess I just feel a little guilty taking his money and him getting nothing in return. I hope all turns out in the end.
Next time I will take everyones advice and cover my butt. Thanks for the help, Shane

Never ever lie on a customs form use repeatable technical terminology to describe the contents.

something like this for a a knife; tool, sporting, knife, edged tool, cutting implement

the more you can describe it technically the easier it will by pass customs

I generally say "hand tool" and I always get agreement up front if customs confiscates it, the buyer is responsible.

I regularly ship to the UK.
I just package the knives well and label it as machined parts or cutting tool. So far all have made it through.
Most have been full tang hunters and neck knives under 4 inches in blade length.

I think you'll find that the problem is that customs are now interpreting any lock knives that can be opened with a flick of the wrist as a gravity knife.

It's a big problem.

A number of options - 1. ship the blade and handle separately. 2. Tighten the pivot right down so it can't be flicked open.

I think you'll find that the problem is that customs are now interpreting any lock knives that can be opened with a flick of the wrist as a gravity knife.

It's a big problem.

A number of options - 1. ship the blade and handle separately. 2. Tighten the pivot right down so it can't be flicked open.

I always ask that any knife sent to me be noted as "camping tool"
and all but one have made it.
(the one that didn't was a Case Peanut I won on a forum haiku contest: it somehow got "lost" in the mail)
I've had a few particular folders successfully sent to me with the blade shipped separate from the handle,because as a finished knife,it wouldn't have made it...

Back