The addiction is BACK!

CTaylorJr

Back in HS and even early college I would often pass up dates so that I could play in the shop making something. Knives were a passion of mine back then and more than one lass was heartbroken over a broken date. It seemed there was always something that needed to be done to a blade!

Well, in college I learned about a few other things that were fun to do in free time and I didn't have access to the shop at the farm, so I got out of the knife making realm.

Well, here I am 15+ years later and the addiction has returned!

When I first signed on here at Knife Dogs I told about a knife I was making from a file so that I could make sure my grinding habits and such were still in tune before trying it out on some O1 I had purchased.

Well, the knife blank was done a week or so ago, the sanding and prep for HT were finished this last week, and today I stuck it into the forge I made yesterday.

I took it to non-magnetic and then let it sit for around 10 minutes in the forge before quenching in canola oil. Smelled just like a fish fry! :D

After wiping it down I placed the blade into the oven at 400 degrees for a 2 hour temper. After the 2 hours were up I turned off the oven and let it cool to almost room temp. It looks good so far!

While the blade was cooking in the forge I ran across the stub end of the file I had cut the blank from. This critter had the tang left on it, but was rather short. I figured what the heck, I have a few hours, so I traced out a small drop point blade on it and went to the grinder.

Since I had never done a real scandi before I decided to go that route and see how everything came out... Well, the HF special 1x30 grinder is NOT the machine to do this with if you are the impatient type. Since I am not, I kept on until I had what I wanted. I did realize that a new and BIGGER grinder is in my future though!

One side is deeper than the other, and I took the grind too deep to the point where I actually had an edge, and some of it was chipping off!! :eek:

Oh well, I told myself, nothing ventured nothing gained. SO I took it to the work bench, sanded it to 220 and now have IT in the forge for HT...

It's been a KILLER weekend! Made a forge, used it for 2 knives, and my t-shirt is covered in some sort of rust looking stuff! :D

You folks are right, this IS an ADDICTION!!!

Charlie

sigh...I was told this was a 12 Step Program for knife junkies...
little did I realize that they meant it was 12 steps from the bench to the grinder...:rolleyes:
Can't wait to see your blades man!2thumbs

I got the ADDICTION about 5 years ago and havn't been able to stop! Glad your back at it. Lets see those blades!

I stopped making knives for a while but couldn't stay away from it either. Once bitten you never get over it.

We would love to see pictures when you finish. Have fun.

Larry

Back