sharpening drill bits

v-6

Anyone sharpen carbon bits on there belt grinder?
Or do you just use the green stone on a bench grinder?
if you use the belt grinder , what belt do you use?
vern

I use a 240 grit, but I don't use free hand sharpened bits for precision drilling.

Thanks guys
i have sharpened reg bits for a few years,but this is the carbon tipped one .
thanks vern

carbon,or carbide ?
The steel of most bits sn't too hard to sharpen,but carbide bits...yeah,I think that would be a horse of a different color.

I use a Drill Dr. and have for years. I still do and I can walk over and pick up a dozen new bits from my supply room anytime I want. I used to sharpen bits by hand but I didn't like how they drifted in the hole.

If you are sharpening a Carbide tipped drill -or anything carbide for that matter, you have to use a green wheel (silcon carbide). The cabide will have an adverse effect on your belts or discs and probably cut them before you sharpen your carbide. regular HSS (high speed steel) and cobalt drills can be sharpened on pretty much anything. be sure your angles are right and your web is centered. it takes practice, but you can learn. Drill Doctors are great too. Personally, I like the way cutting tools cut after I sharpen them as opposed to the factory edge.

I replace worn bits and do not try to sharpen then. The small sizes like No 55 and 1/16 don't allow for much error when you are drilling holes for tapping. I believe the cost is not worth the problems that have happened for me. Frank

I have to give another vote for the Drill Dr. The machine will pay for itself over time.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I did have one in the past that wouldn't size down that much and I wondered if the machine had been changed to accept smaller bits. Frank

Let me start by saying that I have very strong feelings about this issue, I had a 5 minute lesson from a former machinist on how to sharpen drill bits, and it is my strong opinion that if you have any skill at making knives you can certianly sharpen your own drill bits. I sharpen my own bits all the time, even broken ones, I have sharpened, by hand, on my belt sander drill bits from #50 to 1 1/4" most of these were cobalt bits, but I have sharpened carbide ones as well. Centering does take practice, but my sharpened bits still drill holes within .002" If I need a more precise hole I drill undersize and ream. Split points are still a challenge for me, but since I started centerpunching I really don't worry about that anymore.

Back