Micarta sheath

CTaylorJr

Ok folks,

I have searched until I am blue in the face and have not found anything about this...

A co-worker wants a fillet knife with Micarta scales AND a Micarta sheath... His quote was, "I know you can do it I've seen how you make other things...".

So, have any of you tried it? I'm open for it, but I would rather learn from others mistakes if I can... :D

Charlie

Just for the heck of it, check out Bubba-San Forge forum below. He is making a handle and sheath from the same material. I think this may lead you in the right direction. Check with USA Knifemaker Supply for Micarta or G10 in larger sheets.

Steve

I own a Criswell sword that uses a G-10 sheath, you might do a search for pics.
It has been routered out on the inside of each half and held together with peened pins.

Leadfoot

I have made a few. Used a Dremel tool router jig attachment to route out the two slabs. Used epoxy and pins to secure them together. It is good to make room for some leather, or felt inside to prevent rattling. I made mine with top plates cut out to form fit the blade and ricasso. That also cuts down on the blade slopping around. The top plates were screwed down with #3, or at least tiny, size flat head machine screws in case the leather or felt ever needed replaceing. I made a leather frog with a decorated threaded button in the sheath for carry on one. The others had nylon webbing belt loops screwed on the backs. It's been maybe 25 years since I did one, so I do not remember much more than that.

I figured it would be like making one from wood, but figured I'd ask. I appreciate the feedback thus far.

It will be a few weeks before I can get to it with all of the other life matters and projects going on, but I'll post it when I do.

Charlie

ive made my own micarta around a block of wood so it is allready shaped once it is dry.
its very easy.just cover the wood mould in vasaline so the first layer dosnt stick to it.

Back