Magnifacation- what do you use?

Mark Behnke

Can't see the details, like filing to a line for a guard.
Any recommendations or experiences with magnification, like Optivisor, medical binoculars, loupes, etc.

I have an optivisor and HATE it! Dang thing shows me every little goof and scratch I make!

Seriously, they do work pretty darn well. Lightweight, the lens flips out of your way, etc. It wasn't expensive at all, I think I got mine from USAknifemaker.com. I also have one of those goose-neck desk lamps with a magnifying lens on the finishing bench, that works well too.

Last edited:
I use an optivisor, a lighted magnifying lamp, and a couple of different loops (eye loops and 2 on the visor)... All for different purposes of course. Oh, I almost forgot the brand spanking new BIFOCALS that the eye Dr seems to think I need! huh1

Like James, Sometimes I hate all of them since they DO show off my ability to screw up my own work. Not just knives, but electronics, flies, and other TINY or important projects as well...

A note on the optivisor (or other names for a magnifying headset)... Get a GOOD one! There is a difference between a HF special and one that has precision ground lenses.

Charlie

I'm with the majority...an Optivisor that I hate :p

I've had the darn thing for so long I forget when I bought it. But then I forget a lot of things... What was I saying?? wheelchair

I use a number 5 lens. My wife also uses one with a number 5 lens for whatever it is she needs one for. I had to buy her one to keep peace in the house after loaning mine to her one time. ;)

Thanks everyone, I'm going to the shop.:running dog:

Scored an Optivisor today at a garage sale. It has a #10 and #3 lens. The price was right , $5 bucks.:D

Thanks everyone, I'm going to the shop.:running dog:

Scored an Optivisor today at a garage sale. It has a #10 and #3 lens. The price was right , $5 bucks.:D
I'm 56 years old. #3 too weak #10 way to strong except for inspection. # 5 or 7 good working distances.

Mark

Back