Future Grinder: KMG vs Burr King

R

RebelYell

So I found a Burr King described as this.

Model # 960-272 with knife making attatchments.
A 1HP fixed speed motor.
1000 dollars.

Now I was planning on saving for a KMG based on all their accessories and the love they have...everywhere. But thats a good deal no? What do you guys think?

For me much would depend on the grinder's condition and how much use it's seen.

Personally, even thought the Burr-King is a nice machine, I dislike them because of the time, effort, and tools it takes to change out attachments when compared to the KMG.

Too many times I've seen folks come across a deal like that, grab it because of the price, then regret it later (I was one of them) :)

I think it would be prudent to see the grinder in person, and run it if possible. It's always a tough decision with things like this....just trust your gut instincts.

I have not tried a Burr-King but personally I think the 3-wheel designs have an advantage over a 2-wheel. Given the price, I would go for a KMG, no question.

My instinct was still with the KMG but if I had heard, "Oh my goodness, jump on it now!!" I would have gone and seen it.

Ed, once again, thanks for the advice. Im in Austin and may try to make a trip to that expo in San Antonio and thank you for your help.

If it's your only grinder then I would say you might be better off with a KMG.To explain, I am a very happy Burr-King owner and IMO it is the smoothest,quietest, best tracking grinder out there, but I have to agree with Ed on changing options.I already had two disc sanders, a horizontal small wheel grinder, and a smaller 1" grinder when I got my Burr-King so changes are not needed.Also the lack of variable speed on that unit is a strike against it, though if I had the spare cash I would jump on it and add it to the lineup.Dave:)

Back