Buffing Heat

izafireman

Ive been polishing a blade to a mirror finish on mt buffer. This of course gernerates heat. Will this have an effect on the blade as such and make it softer or shoudlnt I worry too much?

Pete

Pete you would have to get it above 400 degrees to affect the temper so go for it if it gets to hot to hold let it cool down or quench it in clean cool water .

Bob

I have found that some metals don't like to get hot when buffing and took on a slight haze when they got really hot. By really hot I mean that I had to get it to the bucket in a hurry to save my fingers. After it cooled I was able to get rid of the haze with a couple light passes.

If you are buffing for more than a minute or so per side you are not doing enough prep work with the belt sander.

George

Hi Vern, I didn't even know that Visitor messages existed,

There are some blade steels that simply will not polish to a fulll mirror like Stellite and S30V. D2 can be difficult to get to full mirror as well.

In going up through the grits changing directions of belt lines at each grit will tell you if ALL the previous grit scratches have been removed before you go on to the next one.

My grit sequence is 50 grit to grind, 120 grit to remove the 50 grit scratches, 240 grit greaseless compound to wipe out the 120 scratches before heat treating. After heat treating I take a well worn 400 grit cork belt coated with Green stainless steel buffing compound and make sure that all scratches are removed before going to the buffing wheel.

When I move over to the buffing wheel it takes about a minute per side to get a high mirror with green compound on a circualr sewn buff (1/2" between rows of stitching).....If any scratches or irregularities show up I go back to the cork belt immediately because buffing will not take them out easily.

I have been buffing for over 25 years and have a great deal of respect for the danger of buffing and will do as much as I can to avoid the risk.

Last June 17th I suffered a blunt force trauma injury on the buffer that caused me to lose half of my blood supply to an internal bleed. For 4 days they kept telling my wife I probably would not make it through the night.
I fooled them!

Bowie blades, and kitchen chef's knives can take a minute extra however.

Take care
George

Back