Janik Hybrid Tactical

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
attachment.php

Built this as a an EDC for a customer who is a police officer. He wanted a high ride vertical carry to fit his gunbelt behind his service weapon.

1/4" thick 1095 with black/green G10 scales and my own kydex.

Thanks for looking.
Steve

Attachments

• hybrid 001.jpg
    hybrid 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 239
  • hybrid 004.jpg
    hybrid 004.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 66
  • hybrid 007.jpg
    hybrid 007.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 55
  • hybrid 005.jpg
    hybrid 005.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 35
nice. I had to study and think about the grind you put on that one. It makes good sense for the intended application. The fit and finish is or course flawless.
Were the notches fitted?

Good eye, Tracy.
I have a very scientific way to fit the fist notches. If I can get close to the new owner, I hold my hand flat against his, palm to palm, (not in a gay way) and eyeball it to fit my grip, bigger or smaller. I think for a tactical grip, the idea is not to drop it or let someone kick it out of your hand.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Steve

David,
I am now going to try some wasabe, how cool would that be on a sushi knife.

Everything needs a story.

I'm thinking chestnut pudding on a holiday knife...........bloody mary mix puts a nice etch on 1095, someday when we run out of things to talk about, I'll tell you how I know that.

Steve

I buy it from Tracy. His is the best quality.
It is simple to use and I would be happy to give you some pointers if you want to try it.

Steve

Last edited:
I just put in an order with him last night. If I had known that, I would have picked some up. I will definitely be trying it in the future and I'll look you up to ask some questions. It seems like this stuff is more friendly for knives that will actually see abusive use, and I have had several people tell me they would go for one of my knives "if" it had G10 handles.

Is this stuff in any way related to phenolic? I have machined several parts from phenolic, and it looks similar.

attachment.php

Here's some I did in red with black and red spacers.
I think that G10, G11, Micarta and phenolic are all kissin cousins. It machines very easily and holds up to any abuse. I finish it with GunOil or WD40 and you can touch it up anytime with a quick spritz. On some of my pieces I attach it with machine screws so it can be asily removed and cleaned up. I would not reccomend using it in combination with wood or Ivory bolsters as the WD 40 will penetrate the natural stuff and ruin it.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments

• ICE%20024.jpg
    ICE%20024.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks man! Yeah I do some work with that stuff. We use it for parts that cannot conduct electricity. Here recently I made some spherical ball pieces that a mig welding gun went through. The acted as the joint, or the actual universal joint part of some mounting systems. This way, they could loosen a clamp around the ball and position it any way thay wanted.

Anyway, I always thought the stuff looked similar to phenolic. What is special about G11? I mean the difference between it and G10?

That is the magic question! I don't know and it has been discussed here several times and I don't think anyone really has an exact answer. if you find out, let me know.

G-11 is a military grade G-10. It has a tighter adhesive and is Mil-Spec....Thats what I've been told anyway....:bud:

G-11 is a military grade G-10. It has a tighter adhesive and is Mil-Spec....Thats what I've been told anyway....:bud:

that's pretty much it and G11 is quite a bit more expensive due to the certification process (I'm told).
I have g10 custom made - that black and green you have on that knife for example - and I mentioned g11 to the guy and he just stated "you can't afford it."

Hey Boss,
Did anyone ever make any different color combos, like red and black or maybe red, white, and blue.

Steve

Back