Janik Hidden Tang

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
attachment.php

A smallish hidden tang from Norm Schenk damascus (1095 and 15n20) in a dolphin nose ground.
Overall is 8 3/4" blade is 4 3/4". Handle is Black walnut with approx 937 (roughly) coats of linseed oil. LOL

Guard and pin is nickel/silver and butt cap is Pronghorn Antelope from Keith Willis. Sheath is by Robt Jones of Handsewn leather.

Thanks for looking,
Commments always welcomed.
Steve

Attachments

• hidden tang 007.jpg
    hidden tang 007.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 118
  • hidden tang 009.jpg
    hidden tang 009.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 33
  • hidden tang 001.jpg
    hidden tang 001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 25
  • hidden tang 005.jpg
    hidden tang 005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
Very nice work, Steve. That walnut turned out great. At first I thought that had 938 coats of oil on it. Denny

No Denny, the old arm gets tired around 936 coats. I'm slowing up in my old age, my fastball's just barely over 113 mph now.

Kiss my grits, I thought it was 938 too Denny. If he'da put 940 I'd really like it.
All joking aside Steve, a very nice looking unit. Well Done, Dozier

I really like that size, shape, configuration and materials.

I believe you on the number of coats. Walnut the traditional way is a pain in the ........ arm. Sure looks good though. Whew!
Pronghorn pommel? Thats a new one. I thought it would be black not clear. Did it stink when working it? How is it held on?
Very nice knife and sheath.

Thanks Guys,
The Pronghorn was black on the outer crust but becomes pearly amber almost like a tigers eye when you get into it with a buffer. I found out the hard way not to use any compound, not even white. It doesn't smell any worse than mammoth or deer antler but burns up easily. I got it to 1200 before a lite buff on a slow wheel. I brought the shape completely down from the outside and kept as much of the "hairy" inner layer to adhere with 2 ton epoxy. This type of horn, much like African game, is compressed hair.

Keith Willis sent me a small bag of scraps and I have a couple more pcs to use for spacers and pommels.

I also have some racks and a crummy mount from the old days which may get ressurected into knife parts.

Thanks,
Steve

Very nice Steve.I never would have thought that Pronghorn
would have looked like that,but I guess there's a lot I don't know
Glad you were able to use it.

God bless,Keith

I hate to have to come back and comment on this again, but I just keep coming back to look at it again and again. You really out did yourself on this one Steve. This one looks like you may have done this once or twice before. :D

Back